Votes

Ability to turn off a Deco mesh unit's WiFi radio.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-20 00:22:30
Model: Deco XE75 Pro   Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

TL;DR Requesting the ability to either tweak the Tx power, including 0%, or just the ability to turn off the WiFi radio for a specific Deco unit.

Hello team!

I know this is a specific use case, but I think it might be a useful feature for some people. I recently noticed there is no way to change Tx power for a Deco or the ability to turn off only the WiFi radio. I think that shouldn't be a complex feature to implement.
* I wasn't able to select "Deco X55 Pro" in the list of devices in the 'Model' filed

Here is why I'm requesting:
I have a multi-gig Internet plan and own two Deco XE75 Pro. I'm able to connect the ISP modem to the only 2.5G port in the Deco XE75 Pro. The Deco unit has two more ports, but these are 1G ports and they can't be aggregated. So the rest of my wired network can't get multi-gig speeds. I saw the recently released Deco X55 Pro with two 2.5G ports and I bought one.
My current layout is:
ISP modem (2.5G) connected to the Deco X55 Pro (2.5G port 1), the Deco X55 Pro (2.5G port 2) connected to a 2.5G switch (TL-SG105-M2), and now I can connect both of my Deco XE75 Pro through their respective 2.5G ports. From the switch, I extend to my home lab with 2.5G.
Everything is working great, I'm enjoying higher Internet speeds, and local transfers are faster than ever. That being said, the Deco X55 Pro is sitting just below the Deco XE75 Pro, and I don't want to use the Deco X55 Pro's WiFi. There is no need, it doesn't have 6GHz, and it's causing unnecessary interference with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The clients connect to either of the Deco units; I have clients that I move around and disabling the Mesh Technology option isn't the solution. Basically, I want to use the Deco X55 Pro as a "gateway".

I have had other routers/APs where I'm able to change the Tx power. One fix would be to add a Tx power option where 0% is an option. The other fix would be to be able to turn off completely the WiFi radio of a Deco unit (transmit 100% or turn it off completely) but keep the ports working. That would allow you to use another Deco unit in your house as a switch. I think it is something that can be implemented and I know that it would be useful for other people as well.

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 303

Replies: 0

Voters 2