Extender to use 2.4ghz cameras on 5ghz wifi feed?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-15 19:24:15

Have a mom that just went into an assisted living facility where they only offer internet access through its 5ghz wifi. The camera system which I had previously been using for her at her personal home  operates on 2.4ghz. I have set up those cameras in her assisted living facility room and they operate only intermittently. Is there a TP Link extender device that I can tie into the facilities 5ghz wifi feed (I don't have any access to the facility wifi other than logging into it for internet use) and then have the device communicate using 2.4ghz with her cameras?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extender to use 2.4ghz cameras on 5ghz wifi feed?
2023-10-16 18:42:58

@TPLinTX,

If the cameras are able to operate intermittently, I would suspect that it is a combined SSID (2.4+5GHz) and not just a 5Ghz connection. If it was only made up of only the 5 GHz band, a large majority of devices would have problems, and it would also require the assisted living facility to place an Access Point in each room.

Most settings that you could change to force the use of 2.4Ghz for the cameras will unfortunately be on the router managed by the facility.

Most Range Extenders wil allow you to take a wireless signal, and rebroadcast the signal in the way that you need - however a login screen from the facility may cause difficulties during setup.

Does your mom's room have any hookups for an ethernet connection? If so, you may be able to connect a regular Access Point to the network. This would give you control over the devices that are broadcast by the AP, such as disabling the 5Ghz connection, while also allowing you a few wired connections for your TV or laptop.

Depending on the size of the facility, you may consider getting in touch with their IT administrator, as he may be able to provide a few quick suggestions or help you with the problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 270

Replies: 1

Related Articles