The adapter connected to my modem doesn't go to sleep & I cannot keep them in upright positions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

The adapter connected to my modem doesn't go to sleep & I cannot keep them in upright positions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-01 19:09:24
Tags: #Power Saving Mode #Sleep Mode
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

So I just got the TL-PA9020P KIT and when I turn off my computer the adapter that's connected to my computer goes to sleep just fine but I was waiting and the adapter connected to the modem downstairs wouldn't go to sleep and it was warm so I decided to unplug the ethernet cable from the modem so it would go to sleep, is the adapter plugged into the modem supposed to not go to sleep? Also what if the way the outlets in my walls are made doesn't let me keep the adapters in an upright position plugged in? I have them upside down plugged in, im not sure if thats okay or not because I was reading the tips on the software and it said to keep them upright. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:The adapter connected to my modem doesn't go to sleep & I cannot keep them in upright positions?
2023-11-02 00:04:13

Hey @itsriptide,

The main adapter will always need to have its connection alive, as this is what will allow the satellite nodes to awaken and know they are still connected to the network - which is especially important if you happen to need to access a device that may be asleep on the network but can turn on via a wake command. You can think of it similar to Wi-Fi, how while your devices may go to sleep, your router will keep broadcasting its wireless network.

As for the positioning, if you do not have any powerline nodes with wireless functionality, your main concern with placing the powerline nodes sideways would likely be its ability to stay plugged into the outlet. Ideally, they would be kept upright at all times as a precaution.

It is also normal for any networking device to warm up, especially when the device is actively broadcasting and creating the powerline network for your home.

Options
Re:The adapter connected to my modem doesn't go to sleep & I cannot keep them in upright positions?
2023-11-02 04:01:47

@Riley_S But is the adapter that plugs into the modem supposed to be on all the time and be hot?

Options
2023-11-03 17:53:15

@itsriptide,

Yes, it should be on all the time and broadcasting / hosting the powerline network for your satellite nodes to connect to.

Just as your Wi-Fi network doesn't disappear when there are no devices, your Powerline network does not disappear when there are no clients(satellites) actively connected - but it will switch to power saving mode when not in use for 5 minutes, which will lower power consumption by 85%

It is normal for networking devices to be warm during use, especially Powerline adapters. If it seems excessively warm to the touch, ensure you are using the device for its intended application and installation. You may unplug the device to see if there are any marks that would indicate that the device may be overheating.

Options