Votes

Upvote to allow manually disabling wireless backhaul

Votes

2023-11-14 20:45:09 - last edited 2023-11-15 01:47:50

Petition to allow disabling the wireless backhaul

Please upvote this thread if you want TP-Link to implement a feature flag that would allow advanced users to enable or disable separately:

1) 6 Ghz Wireless Backhaul functionality. An Ethernet backhaul would be required.

2) 6 GHz radio so that it can be used as a regular radio, independently of 1)

Why would I want to disable the wireless backhaul?

Possible reasons include (feel free to add your own):

1) Avoid possible interference with other wireless signals and devices

2) Increase your security posture by disabling a possible attack vector – the 6 GHz radio signal.

3) Prevent the APs from using the wireless backhaul as a failsafe mechanism when Ethernet fails.

- In certain use cases, it is preferable to "fail-open" when an element in the system malfunctions (Ethernet) and the system stops delivering the service. There can be technical (QoS), legal, or compliance reasons to guarantee the data will move through an Ethernet backhaul.

Thank you,

Carlos Sanabria

Options
4 Reply
Re:Upvote to allow manually disabling wireless backhaul
2023-11-15 01:47:41

@casanabria,

For the most part, this feature has been added to 6E Decos, with dedicated 6Ghz available to Wi-Fi 7 Decos. See the FAQ: How to use the 6Ghz Network of Your 6E Deco

However, I do not believe that there is a way to disable the 6Ghz band completely.

I'll try to add my two cents on your concerns: 

1 - One of the largest advantages of the 6Ghz band is how much less interference it will generate and how many more channels are available to the network so as to avoid channel overlap. This is especially true since only a few devices are already using the 6Ghz band.

2 - The 6Ghz band takes advantage of IPv6 and WPA3 and is actually more secure than 2.4 and 5Ghz connections. While it is another vector, it is less likely to be taken advantage of than what is already there.

3 -  As for disabling the entire wireless backhaul, while I will pass the recommendation along - this is something that you are more likely to find on enterprise or business-class equipment, such as through Omada Mesh. From a consumer standpoint, the wireless backhaul is a failsafe and results in a much smoother overall experience, especially since it means devices will be able to refresh their connections, even if wires are disconnected for some reason - I could foresee even adding an option to disable the backhaul as being potentially problematic. - Can you provide more specific reasons or examples where it would be useful?

Options
2023-11-26 06:47:21

@Riley_S ,

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such a thoughtful manner. Let me address the various points, but I'll start with the TL;DR:

WiFi is not Ethernet.

1) Lower interference is a great advantage of 6 GHz, but the interference is not 0, as when using Ethernet.

2) I agree again that the 6 GHz being used would not be a security concern if your 2.4 / 5 GHz were unprotected. You might not have mitigation methods in the 6 GHz band. The attack vector is zero when using Ethernet unless someone physically breaks into your network.

3) My preference for a fail-open Ethernet backplane is a guaranteed latency. I work remotely from home, and in the activities I engage with my customers, latency must be kept to a minimum, and, above all, the jitter must be kept to zero. It is less disruptive for an activity to stop and reconnect if there is a failure in the Ethernet backplane than to fail over to the 6GHz backplane because the signal is not strong and stable. Unfortunately, there are thick walls between my office's XE75 Pro and the rest of the 3-node mesh. When using Ethernet, the jitter is effectively zero.

WiFi is not Ethernet... and it will never be.

The only part I'm afraid I have to disagree with is that turning off the 6 GHz wireless backplane is an enterprise feature. I consider it a "Prosumer" feature, applicable to the name and price tag of the XE75 Pro, which I find excellent and very happy with. The entire Deco line is not an entry-level, budget-friendly line of products.

I agree turning off the 6 GHz wireless backplane should not be the default and should be considered an advanced setting or "feature flag."

I would be very interested if I could turn in my 4 XE75 Pro units for credit towards hardware that supports Omada Mesh.

Please don't forget to upvote this post so we can get enough attention from TP-Link.

Thank you,

Carlos Sanabria

Options
2024-04-03 15:28:02

IMO, you are asking for Prosumer and even commercial features in a consumer (yes consumer NOT prosumer) product.

Everything you are asking for and even the use cases are things that would call for a true prosumer/commercial Omada system, such as Omada.

"There can be technical (QoS), legal, or compliance reasons to guarantee the data will move through an Ethernet backhaul."

If this is the case you should NOT be using Deco in the first place.

Options
2024-04-08 16:52:00

I agree with you that the TP-Link Deco line of products is a CONSUMER-level product with all that is involved. Here are my qualms, though:

1. I bought a TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro. "Pro" is right there on the name. I didn't have any expectations of a proper professional device like a Cisco or Ariba. Still, I did expect more than the bare basics that it provides. It's misleading marketing and advertising.

2. Selecting a WiFi channel is not a professional product feature. I have had plenty of consumer-level APs from vendors such as Asus and Netgear that allow the user to select a specific channel.

3. Is turning off the WiFi backhaul a Pro feature? I am not asking to enable any additional functionality that's not there; just allow us to disable it. That should not be a Pro feature; it should be in the Advanced Settings on a consumer product.

4. I'm not asking for LACP, VLAN trunking, BGP support, 802.1X authentication, SNMP support, Netflow support, or anything remotely close to a Pro AP.

Given my experience with the TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro, I am now hesitant to trust any TP-Link Omada device despite not using them. The lack of essential features and the misleading 'Pro' label have left me feeling let down by the brand.

For anyone following the thread, I decided to throw away my Deco XE75 Not-so-Pro APs and replace them with Ubiquiti APs. They are fantastic and provide features that actually deserve the "Pro" moniker, although interestingly, they don't use it.

Lesson learned.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 233

Replies: 4

Voters 4