Tether App not blocking YouTube app or domain

2023-11-17 17:25:19
Tags: #youtube
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20230906 rel.52143(5553)

Hello, 

I have added the YouTube app, YouTube Kids app, youtube.com and www.youtube.com, et al. 

However, I can still watch YouTube on the device. It is a Galaxy Tablet. 

I have attached a screenshot of the settings

I can pause and unpause the device, set time limits and bedtimes. Those all work, but the YouTube app and domain blocking specifically is not working at all. 

Thank you, 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tether App not blocking YouTube app or domain
2023-11-17 17:55:41

@jphogan1,

The Youtube App uses multiple domains for its connections, so as you have done - you need to add multiple variations.

For the Youtube App, we specifically recommend adding:

youtube.com
youtubei.googleapis.com
youtube-ui.google.com
m.youtube.com

If you continue to have difficulties, try seeing if others have found other domains to add to the list.

I would also double check that Private Addressing and all VPN connections on the tablet are disabled - it can sometimes be something as simple as an adblocker that interrupts the control and gives access.

Options
2023-11-17 18:17:32

@Riley_S 

Thank you for your response. These are the domains I'm seeing logged as I was playing a YouTube video (after it was supposed to be blocked)

Unfortunately, they seem pretty generally related to google services, which I would like to avoid blocking. (I had to include an image as the URLs were blocked from being posted) And none of the ones on your list. I will check the other settings as well. 

Thank you again

03f37985b79e4862973dc107fe618211

Options
2023-11-20 16:48:46

@Riley_S does TP Link offer any support for this? See my earlier reply? The YouTube blocking is not working even though it shows up in your list of apps to block. How do I get this escalated to a Tier II support level? 

Options
2023-11-20 21:48:43 - last edited 2023-11-20 21:48:52

@jphogan1,

You can always get in touch through our live support chat: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/#LiveChat-Support

Problem being, there is a distinct difference between blocking the YouTube site and blocking the backend services that support their app. You may consider blocking the domains that you had listed as coming through your network, as one of these will be the host/video stream. Otherwise, it is likely to use the same servers as other Google services given the Google API domain.

For this reason actually, we are beginning to see the introduction of the latest HomeShield and KidShield features, which were first announced at CES and has a completely separate parental control for blocking apps on your network. I would highly recommend keeping an ear out for any updates to our homeshield platform.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 4

Tags

youtube
Related Articles