connecting an EP10 mini smart plug at a second home on an android phone

2023-11-18 16:29:04 - last edited 2023-11-21 14:16:13
Model: EP10  
Hardware Version: V18
Firmware Version:

I am having the same problem as others in connecting a EP10 mini smart plug to my network at a second home location. I have attempted the various "fixes" I have found in this forum but none have worked for me.  Here are the particulars:

1. KASA is on an android phone  Samsung S23

2. I have various devices on this app, this type (EP10's) as well as some switches, at a vacation home, all work well, and were easy to setup.

3. I am trying to add some new EP10 plugs to my main home using the same app and phone. It is in the same time zone as the vacation home.

4. I have reset the plugs to the factory defaults (10s) many times.  The TP wireless network shows on the phone and I can connect to it to the app setup..

5. This is where it "hangs" in the KASA app,  I get to the "Connecting to Smart Plug' and it hangs on the green spinning wheel around the plug icon.  I have done this many times at different locations, with different plugs, I have 3, but no luck.  I do not have a VPN and am using a 2.4 GHz wirelesss network from a Netgear router.

6. I can manually connect the plug to the KASA app using the phone's wireless connecting the network "TP...", It will show in the list of devices in the KASA app with the same name as the TP... network and I can operate the plug while connected to that TP network.  It fails on the next step after I reconnect to my home 2.4 GHz network, it never adds the plug to the existing working devices and the plug disappears from the app.

I have tried the suggestions of forgetting the TP network and connecting again, resetting the plug, different locations, and using different plugs all without success. I would try setting up a different account and app for the house but am not sure how to do that.  When I go to Play Store it sees I have the KASA app so I can not install a second one.  I only have the one phone, the android S23 to do the setup.  Any help would be appreciated..

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:connecting an EP10 mini smart plug at a second home on an android phone-Solution
2023-11-21 00:23:20 - last edited 2023-11-21 14:16:13

Hey  @northpike,

How long has it been since you tried to set up a device? Many phones will remove unused permissions after a period of time, so you may need to reenable the permission requested by the Kasa app. 

Otherwise, I would highly recommend uninstalling the Kasa app from your phone and then reinstalling it from the app store. You will be able to login with your TP-Link ID to access all of your devices and homes again. It sounds as though there may be a bug in your install - I even had a user last week have the app hang at this stage and the solution was: Uninstall the App > Reboot Phone > Install App > Login with TP-Link > Setup Device

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:connecting an EP10 mini smart plug at a second home on an android phone-Solution
2023-11-21 00:23:20 - last edited 2023-11-21 14:16:13

Hey  @northpike,

How long has it been since you tried to set up a device? Many phones will remove unused permissions after a period of time, so you may need to reenable the permission requested by the Kasa app. 

Otherwise, I would highly recommend uninstalling the Kasa app from your phone and then reinstalling it from the app store. You will be able to login with your TP-Link ID to access all of your devices and homes again. It sounds as though there may be a bug in your install - I even had a user last week have the app hang at this stage and the solution was: Uninstall the App > Reboot Phone > Install App > Login with TP-Link > Setup Device

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:connecting an EP10 mini smart plug at a second home on an android phone
2023-11-21 14:15:49

Thank you Riley that worked!

I was reluctant to reinstall the app due to the vacation house devices all working well, since i use them for monitoring and security and I was not going to be there for some time. Because you added that I would be able to login to my old account I decided to give a try.  The login worked with all my old devices listed and working.  I was able to add a second home into the reinstalled KASA app and connect the new device.

I am using a new phone but I believe I added a switch at the vacation house recently on that phone, although it may been on the old one as it was about the same time as the switch. Anyway I am able to add devices now due to your suggestion and I appreciate you taking the time to help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 288

Replies: 2

Related Articles