Can't find SSID after setup

2023-12-18 22:33:27 - last edited 2023-12-19 00:48:35
Tags: #RE200
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

After some considerable difficulty and strain, I managed to reconfigure my RE200 for my new modem.  All is good, seems to be working better than it ever did before.

But. 

* I connected via wifi to configure it, but the SSID has disappeared

* My laptop doesn't have a LAN connection so I can't connect by wire

* http://tplinkrepeater.net/ doesn't work 

* I installed Tether but it says "make sure your hardware is supported" (it is), but it refuses to connect.

So I can't access the configuration interface now.  How do I access the interface again?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't find SSID after setup
2024-01-05 20:41:40 - last edited 2024-01-05 21:27:39

GaryInCO wrote

After some considerable difficulty and strain, I managed to reconfigure my RE200 for my new modem.  All is good, seems to be working better than it ever did before.

But. 

* I connected via wifi to configure it, but the SSID has disappeared

* My laptop doesn't have a LAN connection so I can't connect by wire

* http://tplinkrepeater.net/ doesn't work 

* I installed Tether but it says "make sure your hardware is supported" (it is), but it refuses to connect.

So I can't access the configuration interface now.  How do I access the interface again?

@GaryInCO 

Is your cable modem in a combo unit with your wifi router?

Anyway, I find that using a LAN connection from a laptop makes the process easier. Buy a USB-to-LAN adapter for your laptop.

I have a RE305.  After it is configured and connected to my wifi router,  http://tplinkrepeater.net  no longer works. That domain appears to be IP address 192.168.0.254 but when the extender is connected to my wifi router, the router assigns the extender a new IP address.  

I have not figured out how to connect to the the extender's UI to change other parameters.

Anyway, you will need to push the Reset pin on the RE200 and start over again.

EDIT:

I spent more time with my RE305.

Reset it.

Wait a minute.

Disable wifi on the laptop.

Connect with LAN cable from my laptop.

Type in http://tplinkrepeater.net in Firefox.

Once in the tplinkrepeater.net website, one thing I did differently is to go to the Network tab and select Use the following IP address and set the IP address to 192.168.0.254

I think it defaults to Obtain an IP address automatically.

I also disabled 5GHz band since I am using the extender for my outdoor security cameras and they mainly use 2.4GHz.

The RE305 Extender seems to be working.

Options
2024-01-06 18:59:46 - last edited 2024-01-06 19:01:06

@ieee488 

> Is your cable modem in a combo unit with your wifi router?

Yes.  I just recently got upgraded to an Arris TG3452.

> Anyway, I find that using a LAN connection from a laptop makes the process easier. Buy a USB-to-LAN adapter for your laptop.

I have one currently in use, but I could borrow it.  Or maybe I could connect the RE200 to a LAN port on the wifi router ??

> EDIT:

> I spent more time with my RE305.

OK...

* I reset the RE200 and waited a bit.

* I disabled wifi.

* Borrowed the USB-to-LAN dongle, connected it to LAN, and plugged in RE200.

* Went to http://tplinkrepeater.net.

* Ran through the setup and let it reboot.

* tplinkrepeater.net still works, but only when connected via LAN.

* I set the address to 192.168.0.254.  Now I can access the tplinkrepeater interface by that IP address.

* I installed the RE200 in its proper location, connecting by wifi.

I didn't disable 5G because I use it.

So I think I'm in better shape than I was.  Thanks for the tips!  (IEEE488, that takes me back ...  I worked at HP decades ago, when we called it HP-IB!)

Options
2024-01-06 19:11:04
> (IEEE488, that takes me back ... I worked at HP decades ago, when we called it HP-IB!) Ah! HP was king of test equipment. Those were the days. I bricked my RE305. I installed OpenWrt on it. Didn't like it. Then used OpenWrt to try to install the TP-Link firmware. Sigh.
Options
2024-01-06 19:12:47
Ouch! Well I appreciate you not bricking it until after you described your process for me. :)
Options
2024-01-06 19:12:47
Ouch! Well I appreciate you not bricking it until after you described your process for me. :)
Options
2024-01-06 20:49:22

GaryInCO wrote

From what I can tell, I will have to try to rescue it via the serial port.

Remove the cover and solder 3 wires to the J2 connector's GND, TX, and RX, except there isn't a connector; just thru-holes in the printed circuit board.

I have all the equipment needed including a serial port to USB adapter.

frown

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244

Replies: 6

Tags

RE200
Related Articles