Query About Setting Up Two RE700X Extenders for Optimized WiFi 6 Mesh Network
Query About Setting Up Two RE700X Extenders for Optimized WiFi 6 Mesh Network
2024-01-08 19:21:10
Tags: #WiFi 6 Mesh Network
Model: RE700X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently purchased two TP-Link RE700X extenders for my future studio apartment and I'm looking to set up an optimized WiFi 6 Mesh network. My goal is to create a network that resembles a transparent 1 Gbit connection for devices that will mostly stay on LAN, such as my box Android and NAS. While I understand that benchmark tests might show differences, I am interested in knowing if the network will function seamlessly for streaming and file sharing.

Could you please confirm if setting up one extender as an Access Point (AP) and the other to connect to this AP is the correct approach for this purpose? Also, is it possible to limit the WiFi 6 Mesh connection exclusively between these two extenders to ensure optimal performance?

I appreciate any guidance or additional tips you can provide for setting up this configuration.

Thank you.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Query About Setting Up Two RE700X Extenders for Optimized WiFi 6 Mesh Network
2024-01-11 08:29:32

@thierry_b 

If you want easy to install mesh (with seamless roaming), then you should have bought a Deco system, like X20, X50 etc.

For the existing pair of RE700, assuming you have a router from your ISP, you can have them:

- both in AP mode, ethernet connected to existing router, each having the same SSID and password and hence covering the entire house, however roaming isnt working in this setup

- both in extender mode, forming a Deco like mesh network in EasyMesh but, from what I know and read on various TPLink documentations (others, please correct me if I'm wrong) you should have also an EasyMesh compatible router from TpLink (like AX55). In this case, device from ISP is put in modem/bridge mode, AX55 is the router and forms an EasyMesh network with the two RE700.

Options
Re:Query About Setting Up Two RE700X Extenders for Optimized WiFi 6 Mesh Network
2024-01-12 08:19:27 - last edited 2024-01-12 08:21:24

@thierry_b 

@AllexRo is correct.

To use RE700X in a mesh network you'll need a wireless router that supports Onemesh or Easymesh to connect them to.

When RE700Xs are in AP mode it's not possible to use them for building a mesh network. They have to be in RE mode to use them for mesh satellite devices.

Here's an Easymesh setup video for example.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 2

Tags

WiFi 6 Mesh Network
Related Articles