Issue with RE605X Mesh

Issue with RE605X Mesh

Issue with RE605X Mesh
Issue with RE605X Mesh
2024-05-02 23:22:15

Signals a little bit on the weak side in our living room.  Multiple devices show 2-3 bars signal strength.

Installed the RE605X Mesh in the living room.  Firmware is updated.  TV and Tivo unit are like 3 ft away, with TV mounted on the same wall as the outlet the Mesh is plugged into.  My laptop is maybe 12' away.

With the Mesh plugged in, all the devices go down to 1 bar.  I've tried moving the mesh around in this room, as well as putting it another room.

Mesh is connected to AX5400 and showing 3 bars strength.

Why is the signal strength that bad with the Mesh unit plugged in?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Issue with RE605X Mesh
2024-05-06 19:23:43

Hey  @RoadTurtle,

It is possible that the devices are still connecting to the Router and are seeing the RE as interference. I would recommend hard rebooting the devices you are seeing the lessened connection on.

A common problem with REs is their placement so keep it in mind even though you have tested in another room. REs should be placed halfway between the router and the area you would like your network extended to. 

It could also be the result of which band is being used. With the RE so much closer, your devices may be connecting via 5GHz instead of 2.4Ghz, which was most likely being used due to the coverage of 2.4GHz networks indoors.

You may consider setting the RE up to use a different SSID to see if the behavior improves.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Issue with RE605X Mesh
2024-05-13 21:19:10

Looks to be a component heat issue.  When it's first plugged in, it worked wonderfully well.  Strong and fast signal.  The longer it's plugged in, the signal strength goes from 4/5 to 1.  Time wise, about an hour.  Std house temperature, not near a HVAC vent.  It was returned.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 119

Replies: 2

Related Articles