Votes

Tapo App - Ability to sort by IP Address or by Device Model

Votes

2024-06-04 00:36:17

The ability to sort by the IP address of all Tapo devices and even sort by their device model number would be fantastic in several scenarios.  All of this information is readily available in the app, and from an end user perspective there seems to be very little reason why you can't have a sort function that can list devices by something as simple as a call to the "IP Address" or "Model" data fields since all of that info is already being recorded.

I'll use my own actual scenario as an example.  I have many Kasa and Tapo power plugs in my home.  I have one Kasa HS100, four HS105, one EP10, nine EP25, and three P125M plugs.  A total of 18 plugs, 5 different models, two different product lines from TP-Link.

The ONLY reason I know this at a relative glance is because I included the name of the model in the description of the plugs, because otherwise the only way to know which plug is which is to manually go into each plug and select the device settings.  

So what, you ask?  The Kasa EP25 model has embedded power usage information within the device itself while the TP-Link Deco mesh will natively support the HS105 plugs within the app, but none of the others have this support.  The Tapo P125M is Matter supported, the others are not.

You can start seeing how messy things are, and if you are looking to standardize or replace devices, knowing what models of what devices you have and how many at a simple glance is a HUGE convenience, and you can even potentially reassign devices based on need (EP25 plugs can go on devices that could use some power metering, and HS105 ones can go on things that could stand to have direct Deco app functionality).

For that matter, being able to sort all of your devices via IP address is also a BIG quality of life upgrade.  This helps tremendously when trying to identify and isolate devices on a network, like if you add four plugs at once, they may all be identified as "EP25" by the network.  Just like the device type, you can always drill down individually on devices to get this information, but it is such a hassle to do this on individual devices one by one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 142

Replies: 0

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.