Scenes created in TP-Link's Kasa app are not discovered in Amazon's Alexa Skill set up process

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Scenes created in TP-Link's Kasa app are not discovered in Amazon's Alexa Skill set up process

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-11-28 02:49:30
Model : LB130 multicolor LED bulb

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : latest

ISP :

I purchased the TP-Link multicolored LED bulb LB130. It set up correctly and works well. I downloaded the TP-Link Kasa app to my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Mini 2. It too works well. I was able to set up the bulb and I was able to create a few Scenes that work well for changing the hue (color) and brightness (dimming). These Scenes work well within the Kasa app. I then set up the TP-Link Kasa Skill for my Alexa devices vie the Amazon Alex app on my iPhone. The Alexa app was able to discover my LB130 bulb, however it cannot discover any of the Scenes. As a result the only things I can do via voice commands with my Alexa device is to Turn ON/OFF the LB130 bulb and dim it to a percentage. Whenever I try to activate a Scene Alexa gets totally confused. I am using the exact same commands listed in Amazon's Alexa support for activating Scenes. But obviously Alexa cannot activate a Scene if she cannot see it listed. Amazon support was clueless. I suspect the TP-Link Kasa Skill was not programmed correctly and that is likely the cause of this issue. Is there a fix available or at least planned?
Options
5 Reply
Re:Scenes created in TP-Link's Kasa app are not discovered in Amazon's Alexa Skill set up process
2016-12-25 22:25:29
I am having the same issue. I get find the scenes I created in Kasa on the Alexa App so all I can do is dim or turn off or on the TP-Link colored lights. I guess I should have gone with Hue.
Options
Re:Scenes created in TP-Link's Kasa app are not discovered in Amazon's Alexa Skill set up process
2016-12-27 01:00:13
I agree. I won't buy another TP-Link product. Their bulb works well enough, but it is somewhat too pricey, but the worst thing isthat there seems to be no useful customer support from this company. I guess they are just another Chinese company that doesn't give a crap if they keep their customers happy are not.
Options
2016-12-27 01:00:35
I am also having a similar problem; I can actually get Alexa to recognize my scenes, but when Alexa turns on my scene, nothing actually happens to the light; it just stays as it is.

I am hoping that someone will read this who can also get the folks programming the interface to either debug it, or help us get the implementation worked out if we are doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance!

M.
Options
2016-12-29 14:02:03
voice service of alexa is awesome, but its interface may be not open for everything.
i think the "group" in the alexa also works fine, that is simialr to scenes in Kasa
Options
2016-12-30 02:00:08
No, group controls an entire group of devices. A scene controls particular settings within a device. Alexa works quite well with groups and scenes when the 3rd party device company writes their scene software correctly. Apparently TP-Link did not correctly write the software for scenes for the LB130. The fault is with TP-Link. And based on this incredibly lousy forum, I see that TP-Link has little to know customer service available. None of the forum questions seem to be addresses by TP-Link's CS department. I will definitely go with a different brand next time and do a lot of search prior to making any purchases of smart devices.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1300

Replies: 5