Need help with powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-11-30 21:46:44
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

This is my problem, probably shared by others. I live in a newer home, and my Asus router is not in a good position to send a good signal to my TV in the basement. Netflix at times is dropped.Thinking about the powerline adapter, as opposed to running a 75 foot ethernet cable, which would be a a lot of work. Will a powerline adapter help. Is Tp-Link compatable with my Asus RT-N66u. Also, on these adapters, one is plugged into my router, and the second gets plugged into an outlet near my TV, am i correct so far?. Do i have to also connect , via an ethernet cable to my Sony blu-ray dvd, which is connected to my non wifi plasma tv, it is an older plasma which is non wifi..My questions are about the placement of my second adapter, does it have to be close to my wifi ready dvd, and is the second adapter ethernet cable necessary, or will the wifi signal do the job...Which TP-Link adapter is best, the AV2000? Thanks!:confused:
Options
1 Reply
Re:Need help with powerline adapters
2016-12-01 16:49:11
Hi Joe!

Yes, powerline is a good candidate to solve your problem. Looking at product maturity, I'd resort to the AV1200 line, the TL-PA8030P in particular. With the latest firmware, I have brilliant throughput figures in my own house, and the latest firmware update enabled some vital mechanisms for video streaming.

You would buy a pair kit of these, update the firmware straight out of the box before doing anything else. Then pair them while they're close together (e.g. in a power strip), best done using the button method (see manual) for a random, "safe" encryption passphrase. Deploy: On the router end, plug one of them into the outlet the router uses and plug the router back into the passthrough, run one LAN cable from the router into the PLC. On the TV end, again plug the PLC into the outlet used by all the TVish devices, and plug the power cable into the PLC's passthrough. This lets the PLC filter out all the electrical noise that backfires from those devices into the main power, and also filters the PLC data "noise" from firing into the devices. Run LAN cables to whatever needs a LAN connection - TV, BluRay, games console. Enjoy.

If you'd prefer to have WiFi in the basement too, I'd recommend an 8630P kit - but I'd still connect everything that has a LAN jack to wired LAN, and leave WLAN to all the portable stuff that doesn't.
Options