TL-WPA8730 - Interference on 5G channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-18 03:26:55
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I bought two of the kits and have two TL-WPA8730s on my powerline network. I have noticed a good number of unexpected lost connections when signal strength seems very good. I used a WIFI Analyzer on my phone and found both of my TL-WPA8730s are using the exact same 5G channels at high power. The two adapters are in relatively close proximity to one another... one is upstairs and the other downstairs... so interference between two can be expected if they are on the same channel.

I would have thought that the adapter would smartly choose a channel which is least used, and I was surprised to see both on the same channel. I further expected the TpPLC android app would be able to select the channel to be used, but alas, I was disappointed that the app does not appear to have this option. Without the option to configure the channel, I would expect the adapter to figure out which channel is best to use... obviously it did not do this at all. I did notice though that the adapters had selected different 2.4 bands... so this is not a problem on 2.4 band.

So, what to do? I checked if there was a firmware update? No, the adapters are running the only available firmware. I also tried running the PC based TpPLC utility... amazingly it crashes all the time on Windows 10... and I have been unable to keep it running long enough to see if there is a way to configure the channel. I guess one alternative would be to unplug one of the adapters, but this is kind of defeating its purpose.

Anyone have any ideas? I think the real solution would be for Tp-link to fix the firmware and/or allow for channel configuration in the TpPLC app and utility. In a perfect world, the firmware would be able to pick a good channel... routers call this AUTO channel mode... if this worked well, then having user configure the channel would not be required.

If there are any workarounds/fixes, please let me know. I am pretty frustrated at the moment. I spent a lot of money for the AC1750 5G capability, which I am not able to use very well right now.

Thanks,

John

NOTE to forum moderator - the forum does not list the TL-WPA8730 in the list of hardware products. There is also no option for "other" hardware.
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8730 - Interference on 5G channel
2016-12-19 16:22:16
How about using the adapter's web interface to choose a channel?
Options
Web interface??
2016-12-20 15:15:44
Hi Peter,

Is there a web interface for this adapter? I only know about the Android App and the PC-based App. Can you give me a pointer on how to access via web interface?

Thanks,

John
Options
2016-12-20 15:23:02
Also of interest, I would like to be able to specify the channel width... currently the channel width used by the adapter appears to be 80... which is very wide and does not give much flexibility in avoiding conflict with other devices using nearby channels that would overlap with the adapter's.. Other wireless 5G devices I have seen allow for selection of Auto, 20, 40, or 80.
Options
2016-12-20 15:35:14
Hi Peter,

Good suggestion... the web interface has all I need to select channel, and channel width. I didn't know this interface existed... you made my day! Thanks,

John
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 765

Replies: 4