TL-WPA8630 Install was Epic Fail

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-26 03:54:36
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums here. A little background first. My router (ASUS RT-AC68W) is in an upstairs corner bedroom of a 3500sqft house. Our wireless reception downstairs is very poor. Last night I attempted to install my new TL-WPA8630 powerline kit to get better wireless signal (as well as a wired port) downstairs.

The first issue I experienced was that the cloning of my router doesn't seem to be working. When I hit the "wifi" button on my powerline adapter, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz LEDs blink for a LONG time. Eventually they do go green but I'm still seeing a 2.4GHz wireless network called "TP-LINK" listed. I'm guessing its an issue with my router but I'm not much of a techie. What do I need to change on my router?

The second issue I'm seeing is that there is a ton of noise/static on my computer speakers which did not exist prior to installing the powerline adapter. If I unplug the powerline adapter, the noise goes away immediately.

Please share any tips you may have. At this point I'm considering returning the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8630 Install was Epic Fail
2017-01-26 16:27:40
For WiFi cloning via button method, you need to trigger WPS on your router and push the button on the 8630. Alternatively, you can manually configure the 8630 to use the exact same SSID and passphrase as your router. Do use different channels!

Powerline obviously introduces "noise" onto power lines, that's what it does. Properly designed audio equipment won't be bothered; some of the cheaper stuff however "forgot" to bring power input filters, and the powerline data signal strikes through all the way to the audio output.
If you absolutely want to keep those, plug them into the (filtered) output of a powerline adapter w/ power passthrough (like 8630P), or put them on a filtered power strip.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 384

Replies: 1