Advanced Configuration of RE200 for maximum Ethernet throughput

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-04 03:14:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a RE200 range extender that I want to use as a wired access point for a ChannelMaster DVR+ (CM). It uses the Ethernet connection of the RE200. I do not need the RE200 to rebroadcast any wifi signal. My router is dual band with a much higher throughput on the 5 Ghz band than the 2.4 Ghz band.How can I configure the RE200 to give me maximum throughput to the CM? Please go over every configuration setting that I should change from the default setting. Thanks so much.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Advanced Configuration of RE200 for maximum Ethernet throughput
2017-02-07 02:32:33
In my opinion it is impossible because RE200 is typical repeater without possibility disable SSID. Better solution for you will be device with AP Client mode
Options
Configuration for throughput
2017-02-08 11:23:13
You can do this with the RE200. In config under Wireless do the following:High Speed => High Speed Mode 2Advanced Settings => "Ethernet to WiFi use the following band" -- set this to 5GhzThis will mean high bandwidth 5ghz connectivity from the repeater to your router. It does mean that you'll still get an additional 2.4ghz connection for local devices. Unfortunately TP-Link does not allow you to turn this part off.
Options
2017-02-08 16:28:30

jas8522 wrote

You can do this with the RE200. In config under Wireless do the following:High Speed => High Speed Mode 2Advanced Settings => "Ethernet to WiFi use the following band" -- set this to 5GhzThis will mean high bandwidth 5ghz connectivity from the repeater to your router. It does mean that you'll still get an additional 2.4ghz connection for local devices. Unfortunately TP-Link does not allow you to turn this part off.
Thanks so much. This is what I thought. Two more questions:1. Does it make sense to even scan for the 2.4 GHz band in the initial setup if I'm only using the 5GHz band for the Ethernet connection?2. How does using High Speed mode have any effect on the speed of the Ethernet connection? For the Ethernet we're talking about using the 5 GHz incoming signal from the router, while High Speed mode affects the speed of transmission from the RE200 to other wireless devices, which I don't plan on using. So I don't see how this could affect the speed of the Ethernet connection from the RE200 to my media player.
Options
2017-02-08 16:40:23
FYI: The only reason I'm not using an ac wifi adapter on my media player to connect is because the media player accepts only a specific chipset in the adapter, none of which are ac compatible.
Options
2017-02-09 01:30:02

Hometheatremaven wrote

Thanks so much. This is what I thought. Two more questions:1. Does it make sense to even scan for the 2.4 GHz band in the initial setup if I'm only using the 5GHz band for the Ethernet connection?

No, but I don't think it gives you a choice!

2. How does using High Speed mode have any effect on the speed of the Ethernet connection? For the Ethernet we're talking about using the 5 GHz incoming signal from the router, while High Speed mode affects the speed of transmission from the RE200 to other wireless devices, which I don't plan on using. So I don't see how this could affect the speed of the Ethernet connection from the RE200 to my media player.

By enabling High Speed mode, my understanding is that the 2.4ghz radio will be dedicated to the client side (same as the Ethernet port) and the 5ghz radio will be dedicated to the router/AP side. With High Speed mode disabled, each radio's throughput is split between both the connection to the AP/router and the client-side connections.

Since you'll be using the wired Ethernet port on the client side, it's irrelevant what the RE200 does with the 2.4ghz radio in this config.

As you pointed out, it probably won't make much of a difference whether you enable this or not given that you won't actually be connecting any client-side devices to either the 5ghz or 2.4ghz radio, but you never know what kind of odd firmware glitches might interfere -- by setting High Speed mode, it should at least lessen the possible range of software glitches and ensures that you don't even broadcast a 5ghz WiFi connection for client devices to connect to.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1967

Replies: 5

Related Articles