Adding another TL-WPA8630, where to buy? Like a mesh network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-24 01:23:58
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have yet to buy this unit, but if I want to add another WiFi power-line by itself...where do I buy that? I cannot find a single unit anywhere.

Also,

If I do have 2 WiFi power-line units running and using the same SSID (the copy feature)....by roaming from one unit to the other, does it act like a mesh network? Or pass off the strongest signal?

Thanks...it's between this or one of the new mesh WiFi networks (eearo, google wifi).
Options
7 Reply
Re:Adding another TL-WPA8630, where to buy? Like a mesh network?
2017-02-25 01:03:05
Also, can this broadcast in 5ghz only? My 2.4ghz is too crowded.

Thanks!
Options
2017-02-27 17:36:15
Roaming is something the client devices need to solve on their end. Some are quick to switch when the signal goes weak, others cling to whatever they got first until they lose connection.

You should use the same SSID and passphrase, and spread channels such that there is no frequency overlap on APs that have range overlap.
Options
2017-02-27 21:15:04

Peter M wrote

Roaming is something the client devices need to solve on their end. Some are quick to switch when the signal goes weak, others cling to whatever they got first until they lose connection.

You should use the same SSID and passphrase, and spread channels such that there is no frequency overlap on APs that have range overlap.

Thanks Peter. I will use the same SSID..and I may only need one unit, but I have a 4 story townhome.

And, so you know my question to the 5ghz only broadcast? I have ATT fiber and can only use the 5ghz because the 2.4ghz is soo crowded no mater what channel I put it on.
Options
2017-02-28 16:21:08
Disable the 2.4 GHz then, or assign two different SSIDs and connect your stuff to the SSID you gave to the 5 GHz part.
Options
2017-02-28 21:33:30

Peter M wrote

Disable the 2.4 GHz then, or assign two different SSIDs and connect your stuff to the SSID you gave to the 5 GHz part.

Great! So even this is a power-line adapter, I can turn of the 2.4ghz via the WiFi adapter, correct?
Options
2017-03-02 17:01:22
Think of it as a PLC that has a LAN switch and a WLAN AP integrated. The TP-Link website even has a "simulation" of the WLAN AP user interface - have a look!
Options
2017-03-02 22:41:02

Peter M wrote

Think of it as a PLC that has a LAN switch and a WLAN AP integrated. The TP-Link website even has a "simulation" of the WLAN AP user interface - have a look!

Thanks for your help Peter!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1389

Replies: 7