Can I disable "Power Saving" / "Stand by" on the latest TL-PA9020P or other AV2000 models?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I disable "Power Saving" / "Stand by" on the latest TL-PA9020P or other AV2000 models?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-26 17:36:52
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm considering buying a TP-Link powerline adapter since I already own the Archer C7.

However I currently have the top of the line Netgear PLP-1200 and am facing constant disconnects due to the "power saving" feature of it. I saw TP-Link offers a tool to disable stand by/power save for another model... will that same tool work for any TP-LINK powerline adapter (ie: top of the line latest AV2000 TL-PA9020P)?

Thanks in advance.
Options
11 Reply
Re:Can I disable "Power Saving" / "Stand by" on the latest TL-PA9020P or other AV2000 models?
2017-03-03 12:46:50
wow no support/official answer at all?
Options
Re:Can I disable "Power Saving" / "Stand by" on the latest TL-PA9020P or other AV2000 models?
2017-03-03 16:45:52
This is a user forum, not a vendor support chatline.

Besides, to my experience, disconnects rarely are actually caused by the PLC powersave feature. It's just the standard answer from vendor customer support for ANY problem whatsoever.

For reliable connections, I recommend you skip the AV2000 generation altogether and go with something that has a Qualcomm AV1200 chipset and at least firmware 2.2.1. TP-Link 8030P V2 (not V1, firmware is old there!) would fit the bill.
Options
2017-03-07 21:22:40

Peter M wrote

For reliable connections, I recommend you skip the AV2000 generation altogether and go with something that has a Qualcomm AV1200 chipset and at least firmware 2.2.1. TP-Link 8030P V2 (not V1, firmware is old there!) would fit the bill.

I have a TL-PA9020P and it is extremely reliable, it has been running for a few months now and I have had not a single problem or disconnect.

The AV2000 is powered by a Broadcom chipset which is far better than the Qualcomm based AV1200 and known to be more reliable.

Power saving is also not an issue on my TL-PA9020P I have a Synology NAS plugged in and the homeplug never goes to sleep.
Options
2017-03-25 09:44:56
Not my experience - constant issues with several PA9020P adaptors, zero with the 8000 series...
Options
2017-03-25 10:00:31

Peter M wrote

This is a user forum, not a vendor support chatline.

erm, no, that's not what it's meant to be. This is linked to from the TP website as a Technical Support Forum:

http://uk.tp-link.com/support.html

And if you read the forum T&C, ( http://forum.tp-link.com/misc.php?do=showrules ) it says:

TP-LINK welcomes you to the TP-LINK Tech Support Forum

The rational interpretation of that would be that you can expect support from TP Link here. If there is something here telling users that they can expect zero help from TP Link then I must have missed it?

If you mean that this is meant to be a tech support forum, but TP Link rarely bother to help then that would be a more apparently accurate statement,....
Options
2017-03-26 17:27:17

The Vogon wrote

Not my experience - constant issues with several PA9020P adaptors, zero with the 8000 series...

My PA9020P had an uptime of close to 2 months, the only reason I rebooted them recently was to install the Jan 17 firmware update.
Options
2017-03-27 23:07:50
What tool are you using to measure uptime? Why would you install a firmware update if you had no issues?

I use 5 x 9020P (and 1 x 8730) in a network for video streaming and Sky Q - and commonly get dropouts / disconnects that I didn't with earlier series adaptors.... And others here have had similar issues.
Options
2017-03-28 15:11:38

The Vogon wrote

What tool are you using to measure uptime? Why would you install a firmware update if you had no issues?
I use 5 x 9020P (and 1 x 8730) in a network for video streaming and Sky Q - and commonly get dropouts / disconnects that I didn't with earlier series adaptors.... And others here have had similar issues.

The servers I have running notify me immediately if there are disconnects, or loss of network connection. I always install the latest firmware. (I notice it has now been pulled from the tp-link site for some reason).

I only have 2 x 9020P so perhaps that is where the problem lies.
Options
2017-03-29 22:01:01
Well you don't really explain how they are alerting, but quite commonly systems will need 1-5 minutes lost connection before generating any alerts. Otherwise you would be alerted all the time by the general nature of the internet / packet loss on networks. So it might be that you get packet loss, but it's not enough that they alert you. If you are watching streaming video though you notice.... or maybe it's a firmware issue that only applies with multiple adaptors as you suggest.

It's often not a good idea to always upgrade! If it's not broken, don't fix it....
Options
2017-03-30 15:22:23

The Vogon wrote

Well you don't really explain how they are alerting, but quite commonly systems will need 1-5 minutes lost connection before generating any alerts. Otherwise you would be alerted all the time by the general nature of the internet / packet loss on networks. So it might be that you get packet loss, but it's not enough that they alert you. If you are watching streaming video though you notice.... or maybe it's a firmware issue that only applies with multiple adaptors as you suggest.

One of the servers running over the homeplug is a Plex server and I definitely have no issues at all with packet loss. It's also used heavily for online gaming...

Interestingly I switched on TCP IPv6 last night on my Ubiquiti Edgerouter (BT Infinity connection) and had to reboot both homeplugs as they stopped working. That is the first time I've had an issue with them.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2188

Replies: 11

Related Articles