Any advice for configuring TP-Link TD-8816 to work with Sonic ADSL service?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-05 06:33:32
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : Sonic

Hi all,

Faced with an apparently dying Zoom ADSL modem/router, I checked with my ISP, Sonic. They said, "If you are looking at purchasing your own equipment, we don't make any specific recommendations. But you just need to look for a DSL modem that uses DHCP for it's IP protocol (not PPPoe)."

I ended up ordering a TP-Link TD-8816. I installed it, the lights all looked proper, and hooked up to its admin console and ran the quick setup wizard, choosing Dynamic IP when prompted for the IP protocol (the default was Bridged). It didn't work, so I called Sonic Support. During our session, the internet connection came back on for a bit, but then disappeared again. So it seemed like maybe there were just a few specific parameters that needed to be tweaked.

I sighed and swapped the Zoom back in until I could investigate further, but now the Zoom doesn't work at all anymore – the ADSL light never comes on.

I sent another Tech Support request asking for alternatives and was told, "... make sure the TP-Link is configured with VPI: 0 and VCI: 35, using LLC based bridging. Make sure PPPoE is disabled. Beyond that, the only other resource for modems that will work, would be feedback from other Sonic customers on our community forum."

I've posted there, to no avail so far, so I thought in my desperation I'd also post here.

Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 0

Related Articles