Solved: Extender Connectivity Issues & Reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-11 03:26:18 - last edited 2022-05-05 22:09:31
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I purchased the RE580D range extender a couple weeks ago to extend my 5Ghz network (the wifi router is a TP Link Archer C7).

After installing the extender I had great connection speeds, but unfortunately after a day or so of connectivity, the Internet connection would completely drop between certain devices and the extender. Rebooting the extender was the only way to fix the problem, which was not ideal.

I read some other posts on this forum with similar issues, and I think I have found a solution that I wanted to share with this forum.

In short, follow the instructions outlined in this support document: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-943.html
so that your connectivity goes FROM this (bad): wifi_router <=== 2Ghz & 5Ghz ==> wifi_extender (extends network on 5Ghz)
TO this (good): wifi_router <=== 2Ghz ====> wifi_extender (extends network on 5Ghz)

My wifi extender speeds stayed the same (to my surprise) even just at 2Ghz, and the wifi extender is much more robust now for both wired and wireless clients.

My guess is that there is a bug in the extender so that 5Ghz connectivity to the wifi router get into a funky state, and the extender cannot recover without a reboot.

Hope this helps someone else!
Options
8 Reply
Re:Solved: Extender Connectivity Issues & Reboots
2017-04-11 10:37:33
Have just finished writing a post where I have near identical problem (post yet to appear). Will try your solution.
Options
2017-04-18 01:47:08
I installed this same model RE580D four days ago and have had precisely the same problem. For one person to have a problem might be dismissed as random, but for three to have the same issue suggests this is indeed some sort of firmware issue.

But yes, I had precisely the exact same issue - I had an IPTV client connected at 5 Ghz and then mysteriously after one day of absolute perfection the RE580D goes into some weird unrecoverable passive hibernation with only a power light showing and the other four LEDs completely unlit. And like the OP, only a full re-boot fixes it.

I actually tried it on 2 GHz only before even finding this forum let alone this thread. Based on what I have now read, I hope this works, but I only did this 6 hours ago. But just as importantly, it would seem that this device has some sort of 5 Ghz issue.
Options
2017-04-24 23:45:02
OMG!! thank you so much for this post! I experience the same issue and definitely is the firmware that is causing the issue... I have to use US firmware ( i stay in singapore which is the UK) in order to minimise the lost connection when i use 5Ghz
Options
2017-04-25 14:54:36
Just something else I have tried, since I want to stay on the 5 Ghz band only - the 2.4 Ghz band at Mum's house where the RE580D is installed is incredibly congested.

I disabled DHCP server on the RE580D which is set to "auto" by factory default. Then I reduced the 5 Ghz bandwidth from 80 Mhz to 40 Mhz on the main router. So far I have set a record of 4 days up time with absolutely zero problems. I will update this thread if it falls over again (and there was nothing wrong with the actual network that would account for it).

Yes, the side effect of doing this is that speed has been halved, however in Mum's case, the current speed is still more than 4 times as fast as Mum will ever need in her lifetime (she is 78), since it only needs to run as fast as her internet connection (which because of technical limitations here in Australia will likely never exceed 100 Mbps in her lifetime).

I just hope what I have done works, since this has been a frustrating experience and the 2.4 Ghz band is way too interference prone, with often up to 12 signals coming through on the same channel. At 5 GHz, the band is presently virtually unoccupied save for a couple of other neighbouring properties.
Options
2020-07-28 14:48:54

@SanDiegoEngine amazing fix - thanks - used tools within the app - switched and speeds went from 3mbps to 14

SanDiegoEngine wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I purchased the RE580D range extender a couple weeks ago to extend my 5Ghz network (the wifi router is a TP Link Archer C7).

After installing the extender I had great connection speeds, but unfortunately after a day or so of connectivity, the Internet connection would completely drop between certain devices and the extender. Rebooting the extender was the only way to fix the problem, which was not ideal.

I read some other posts on this forum with similar issues, and I think I have found a solution that I wanted to share with this forum.

In short, follow the instructions outlined in this support document: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-943.html
so that your connectivity goes FROM this (bad): wifi_router <=== 2Ghz & 5Ghz ==> wifi_extender (extends network on 5Ghz)
TO this (good): wifi_router <=== 2Ghz ====> wifi_extender (extends network on 5Ghz)

My wifi extender speeds stayed the same (to my surprise) even just at 2Ghz, and the wifi extender is much more robust now for both wired and wireless clients.

My guess is that there is a bug in the extender so that 5Ghz connectivity to the wifi router get into a funky state, and the extender cannot recover without a reboot.

SanDiegoEngine wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

....now no longer drops daily...

Options
2020-10-25 16:40:23

@MB100 I'm trying to reply to  community threads to spread the word about how I fixed my extender issue.  I think there's a general problem in some TP-Link devices, it runs out of resources (i.e. CPU) and cause those network drops.  The solution I found was to change the Wifi-Coverage range setting from Maximum to Minimum, that way the device isn't running at maximum CPU, and has enough CPU resources to manage all devices and their traffic. 

Options
2020-12-11 16:16:52

Farouk-Ontario's post was the final one that fixed it for me. Mine's an RE450 but I had exactly the same issues described here. Reduced coverage from Max to Min and got back some much needed stability. I had already disabled one of the bands - after over 5 extenders I still haven't come across one that can manage two bands reliably with a lot of wireless and wired devices attached.
Still need to throttle downloads to about 50Mb/s which is a bit frustrating as the marketing material claims 1300Mbps, but can't complain too much it's twice what I was getting not long ago.
Can't help but wonder if the QA dept didn't test it literally as in 1300Mbps works ... for one second! ;-)

Options
2021-01-26 15:57:13

@SanDiegoEngine greatly appeciate your post. I bought a RE220 and was experiencing an issue where after 2 or 3 days I would loose my connection. Someone on another forum link to your post claiming this would solve the problem. Indeed it has. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 46779

Replies: 8