HS105 Keep Falling off from network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 Keep Falling off from network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
25 Reply
Re:HS105 Keep Falling off from network
2018-05-18 16:47:23

navinm6894 wrote

I have the exact router and experience the same issue. I tried a couple other routers that I had lying around and the plugs stayed connected.
Do you mean you were using Netgear R7000 and the plug often drops? After you replace that router, everything is working well.
Options
2018-05-20 21:11:26
I have 4 HS-105s that started to exhibit this after several months of rock solid reliability Tech support has been somewhat helpful, but no suggestions have worked thus far:1. Static IP assignment - FAIL2. Increase DHCP lease time - FAIL3. Move to different router - FAILMine are HW 1, firmware 1.5.something (can't access them now to find out, but it's the latest). Last night, they all dropped at the same time. Nothing in my router log (Asus RT-AC66U), and all are on different circuits, so any power transient event shouldn't hit them all at once (there were none last night noted by any of my UPS's). I'm about to request an RMA replacement of these units, either for newer HS-105s, or for HS-100's, that folks seem to have better luck with.
Options
2018-05-20 23:33:09
It has now been (7) days after changes made, with no disconnecting of Smart Bulbs LB100 & LB120's and HS100 Smart Plug's. Also my microwave was using 2450 MHz so I set my router to channel 1 and this has stopped the kitchen light from being affected. I believe the above changes I've made to the router has fixed all my smart devices from going offline. Special Note: I changed the PDP Type: IPv4 & IPv6 to IPv4 Only and Mode: 802.n to 802.11 b/g/n. These changes in the settings made no difference and the smart devices were still working without any problems. I also believe the most important change was adding the smart device's IP address to the Lan Settings (Address Reservation) section in my router. The router remembers and keeps the same IP address for each smart device.
Options
2018-05-31 01:05:26
It's been about (20) days since I made the above changes to the router and all LB100 LB120's and HS100's have stayed online with NO disconnections.
Options
2018-05-31 12:38:43
Sounds good. Couple of things to keep in mind though... the main one being there's multiple reasons why the TP Link devices can be unreachable, some users may be experiencing different problems than you and need an alternate solution.

First question to sort is why the devices are being lost? Are they are dropping off the network (they'll start flashing amber), or is Kasa losing them? Are they connected to Kasa locally (it tries this first) or via remote access? Are the devices losing their connection to the TP Link cloud, are the TP Link cloud servers unavailable, or is Kasa losing it's connection to the TP Link cloud? Similar questions if you're using alexa or google home.

If they're losing the local connection then it's likely other devices on the 2.4GHz band will also lose their connection. Easily testable by running the microwave while watching a few devices - keep them close to the microwave when you do. As Shadow says, changing the wifi channel might help - 1, 6, 11 are the typical channels. Noisy neighbors can cause slight problems too but wifi is designed to work around interference like that.

If they drop and don't reconnect something else is wrong. Probably signal strength and general RF noise, because if they were able to connect originally there's no need to change router settings related to encryption, mode, etc - those settings have already worked. The wifi radios in these devices aren't as good as the ones in phones, so they may need to be closer to the router. Try re-positioning them to see if it helps (though it's not much help if you bought them for a particular outlet or lamp!).

If the TP Links drop and reconnect to wifi they may be assigned a new IP by your router. Or if the router reboots, or drops the connections itself (due to a bug, or recyling encryption keys, or DHCP expiration, etc), same thing. In my app I first check the last known address for the TP Links, and if they're not responding I use the discovery mechanism - I didn't write Kasa but I suspect it's the same. That's why assigning them reserved IPs in your router DHCP section can be effective and is often the best solution. TP Link discovery generally won't work across router bands so if your phone is on your 5GHz band it's not going to find the TP Links if they have a new IP. Kasa will be forced to switch to remote access. Sometimes forcing your phone to your 2.4GHz signal can help.

Once you're going remote with Kasa there's more uncertainty - the problem can be your internet connection or firewall - if so a discussion with your ISP might help determine if you need to change your internet settings (Shadow's internet provider is probably not the same as yours). Or it's a problem with the TP Link cloud servers or TP Link app - not much you can do about that.

If you've got a PC/Mac there's a free java version of my app that has enough function to connect and constantly monitor your TP Link devices, saving any errors to a log. You could run that for a few days (or while you're running your microwave!) to figure out if you have a local problem or it's a remote access problem. At least you'll know where to focus. You can get it from: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java.
Options
Related Articles