Android and unsecured networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-15 02:53:35
Model : HS100

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 1.1.0

ISP :

Greetings! At work, we have a secure network that requires authentication beyond what the HS-100 is capable of as well as an unsecured network that requires pre-registration of a MAC address. I registered two HS-100s with my DROID MAXX and they worked great for months. Our system configuration changed and the network they were on went away, so I re-registered them on the new unsecured network (DukeOpen). Here's the problem - when I try to connect to it, Kasa will not show it as an option. I can have my phone's wi-fi connected to DukeOpen or to our secure network or the the HS-100 itself. In all those cases, I can get it to see there's an HS-100 ready to be connected. But in no case will DukeOpen show up on the list of possible connections.

Here's where it gets...odd. Two people from our Office of Information Technology have been working to troubleshoot this. They bought their own switch, came to my office, and POOF - DukeOpen clear as day! Literally the only difference we can think of at this point is that they are using an iPhone and I have a DROID (well - I tried two - the MAXX and a Pixel XL; neither show the unsecure networks).

Is this a known feature of the DROID version of Kasa? Any way around it if it is? Thanks much!
Options
3 Reply
Re:Android and unsecured networks
2017-08-15 16:53:34
I found an answer on TP-link website。
Q: What encryption types do our Smart Home products support?[/FONT][/FONT]
A: Our Smart Home products do not support portal or WPA/WPA2 Enterprise networks. For the sake of security, our Smart Home products don’t support un-secured Wi-Fi also.
Note: Smart home products do support hidden SSIDs, You will need to enter the SSID and password manually to connect when you do the configuration (only applies to Kasa version 1.4.2 and above).
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1390.html
Options
works for iOS though...weird!
2017-08-16 03:10:55
That's the strange part - it works with Apple phones, just not Androids. My switch is version 1.1 and our IT folks bought a new one that was version 1.2 - they could see the DukeOpen network on an iPhone, but I couldn't see it on either of my Androids. I also just tried it with an iPad (I know, not recommended) and it saw the network as well...
Options
Re:Android and unsecured networks
2017-08-16 09:42:53
Your smart plug is with an old version. You can update the firmware of it.
New firmware set a limitation to all of the phones.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 411

Replies: 3