HS200 Install - Neutrals all lumped together at the back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-15 14:16:25
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am trying to install the HS200 smart switch into a 3-gang switch box. I think I see several (4?) wires connected together (into a screw cap) at the back of the switch box which makes me guess that they should be the neutrals. The two black and ground are connected to my old switch. Unfortunately most of the wires have paint sprayed on them so I can't confirm their colors.

When connecting the neutral from the HS200, should I just attach it to the existing bundle of neutral wires at the back, or should I remove the relevant individual neutral wire from the bundle and attach it to the HS200's neutral directly?

Eventually the plan is to replace all three switches in the 3-gang with HS200 switches, but for now I just want to test one of them to see how well one of them works with my WiFi. I'm just not sure what to do with the neutral.
Options
2 Reply
Re:HS200 Install - Neutrals all lumped together at the back
2017-08-15 18:44:22
I found a related question in this link:
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1392.html
Q: Can the HS200 work on two-pole switch as long as the other switch is always on?
A: Possibly, but only after some circuit modification. We don’t recommend you to do this, and can’t provide technical support for this kind of application. Should you want to proceed, we strongly suggest you hire a professional electrician to install it.
Options
Re:HS200 Install - Neutrals all lumped together at the back
2017-08-16 00:19:28
I don't think that FAQ applies here.

They probably are neutrals but it's better to know - it's not a good idea to experiment with wall current... and sometimes black wires are marked white on purpose by the electrician. If it's wall paint you might be able to scratch it off to see the original wire color..
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 2

Related Articles