Router Doesn't Detect USB Device

Released On: 2018-11-05 11:36:55Last update time: 2022-05-09 23:36:55

Because of the varety of USB storage drives in the market, it is difficult for us to make our routers compatible with all them.

Before you begin troubleshooting, please make sure that the drive works correctly when it is connected directly to your computer.

Case 1

1. Format your hard drive. 

2. Contact TP-Link support with information including model number of hard drive, capacity, partition table (MBR or GPT) and format type (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, etc.)

Case 2

1. Check hard drive format type

Currently, the FAT/FAT32/NTFS format is supported and some models like C8/C9/C2600/P5 also support exfat/hfs+. However, it does not support ext3, which is a Linux partition format.

2. Check Capacity

TP-Link router supports at most eight partitions in theory, if the hard drive has more than eight partitions, it just loads the first 8 partitions. (On the same drive, the total capacity of each partition cannot exceed 2TB for WR842N, WR1043N, WDR3500, WDR3600, WDR4300; If there are different hard drives connected via an USB hub, in theory the router can detects a maximum capacity of 8 * 2TB. Similarly, the other models with USB function like our archer series routers, the total capacity of each partition of usb drive cannot exceed 5TB).

3. Check Encryption 

For hard drives encrypted by hardware, data can only be loaded after it is decryption.

4. Additional Power Adapter

Some drives require an additional power.  If your hard drive needs more than 500mA of power, but it does not have an additional power adapter, then that drive is not compatible with our routers, since they can only provide up to 500mA power supply on the USB port.

5. Contact TP-Link support with information including model number of hard drive, capacity, partition table (MBR or GPT) and format type (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, etc.)

Comment

You will have faster read/writes using one of the FAT formats. NTFS will be somewhat slower. A drive that has some errors will cause the router to intermittently drop or refuse to mount it. The router disk management is not as robust as a Windows or OS X machine, so best to start with a freshly formatted drive and then load it up with your media from your laptop or desktop before mounting on the router.

If you want to wear belt and suspenders at the same time, use a USB Y-cable. On a C9 router, the blue plugs into USB 3.0 port, the grey into the 2.0 port. Will handle any typical 2.5 inch external drive. If more jucie is needed, the grey 2.0 plugcan go into an external power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0C4M5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also facing the same problem my TP-Link router does not detect my USB storage drive also it shows an error windows defender error 577, I really have no idea how to solve this error so I want a solution how to remove this error.

Even I'm facing the same problem.Can anyone help to solve this problem| punjabidjsongs

Hallo 

I need my apps passord  and 

I'm facing the same problem My TP-Link router does not detect my USB storage Can anyone help to solve this problem | Punjabi Film 

<a href="https://luxurystruggle.com/ ">here</a>

<a href="https://luxurystruggle.com/ ">here</a>

I'm also facing the same kind of problem. have anyone get solution yet

Ramandeep Kaur

i am also facing this problem please sir solve this issue and My Tplink router dose not detect usb storage

problem

Hi - not sure if this has been answered but I resolved this by reformatting the drive to exFAT.  When the drive used NTFS the router would not recognize the drive, regardless of the partition size.

The problem still exists on my Archer C9 when using USB 3.0 port it does not detect my exteral hard drive with USB 3.0. Tried formating on exFAT and NTFS and both formats didn't solve the problem. The drives are recognized only on USB 2.0 port !

upload
    upload