What Special Characters Are Allowed In My TP-Link Password?

Released On: 2019-04-23 22:20:15Last update time: 2022-05-11 23:25:59

This article aims to show a user which characters are allowed when creating a TP-Link ID account. The TP-Link ID is what you would use to log into our Kasa app that enables you to manage our smart devices locally or remotely.

There are a couple of things to note. When creating a TP-Link Cloud account, the minimum amount of characters will be six, and the maximum amount of characters will be thirty-two.

In the screenshots below, special characters that can be used are highlighted green in addition to numbers and letters. The special characters that you are not able to use are highlighted in red.

Comment

Morning ... I am in the process of setting up my X55 and it is complaining about one of the special characters in the password (the ^).  I put the ^ in and it says 'Invalid Password'.  I take it out and that message disappears.

Same for #, %, & and $ (I stopped searching for reported invalid characters at this point).

Edit: That said, it is happy to let me put the ^  in after the setup up process.  Cries 'invalid password' if I use a ÷ sign.

wow - This page is screwed up too.  I put in a long rant about how f'ed up your password update process is and you blew it away when I had to log in.  Bravo  /s

Short version of the PW rant.  

You updated your password rules and broke my PW when I needed to log in on a new device.  It took me a while to figure out what was happening when my password reset didn't work.  The issue is that you changed the rules on special characters.

This is an unforgivable error.

Here's what needs to happen to fix this

Define a clear spec - update it when things change - characters, incorporating new company/tech etc.
Have common code to check password validity across all products and sites
Show the user the spec in an easy to ready way on the PW reset page and on any error reported for this
    Many sites do this so I'm sure you've seen examples

Don't use a screen capture image with some colored boxes - that's pathetic
TEST your rules vs characters put into by a 'user' - a simple set of regression tests
Don't have an intern write production code

For anyone finding this page:   # and $ don't work
()@/  do work - no idea beyond that

upload
    upload