Installing a Deco Alongside your Original Router

Released On: 2019-05-08 23:22:01Last update time: 2023-12-01 17:19:28

If you plan to install Deco unit(s) with your existing wireless router, here are two ways you can set that up.

Topology 1:

https://static.tp-link.com/21_1552288997760p.png

Note: When the Deco in the Router mode, it’s not suggested to connect more than 1 deco units to the Router directly, because it may cause network loop.

When the deco in the AP mode, you can connect more than 1 Deco unit to the router directly.

Additionally, the Deco system will not act as a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the clients. Please make sure you have enabled the DHCP server function on the root router. Since all the clients are managed by the root router, some advanced features will not be available on the Deco app, including Antivirus, Parental Controls, Port Forwarding, Address Reservation, TP-Link DDNS, etc.

Topology 2:             

https://static.tp-link.com/22_1552289023815q.png          

If you want to use Deco along with your existing router, do the following:

Define a different network name (SSID) and password from those of your current network. Configuring the Deco with the same SSID might lead to various issues.

If possible, turn off your existing router’s Wi-Fi. You will then have a single SSID for your whole network, with minimal wireless interference. This will ensure a reliable internet connection and seamless roaming while on the Deco mesh network.

If your router is a combination of a modem & router from your ISP, check with your ISP for instructions on how to turn off the wireless capabilities.

Your ISP may also have directions on how to set the device to bridge mode. If so, it is suggested to configure the router in the bridge mode to avoid issues, such as double NAT which could block services.

Comment

I added a deco mesh (M5) to my existing router using Topology Type 2.  I turned off my existing router's wifi.  My exsting router is attached to switches and devices on subnet 192.168.1.x.  My mesh subnet is 192.168.68.x.  The main mesh node is at 192.168.1.124 on my main router side.  Main router, tied to a broadband modem is a Linksys WRT 1200 AC.  I have a printer on the mesh side at 192.168.68.130.  How can I set up my system so devices on the 192.168.1.x side can access the printer on the 192.168.68.x side?

Question(s): I have an Xfinity Modem/Router, and was able to turn OFF WiFi on the Router, then plugged the Deco M5 directly into the modem's Ethernet port.

1. Do I really need to change the SSID since the WiFi is off? 
  2. Does it really matter if the Modem/Router is NOT in Bridge mode? Again, because WiFi is off?
    • NOTE: I DO have two VoIP devices plugged directly into the other Ethernet ports on the Modem/Router (there are 4 ports, so one is the Deco M5 Main unit, the other two are direct to the VoIP Analog Adapters). I am concerned that switching to Bridge mode will disable the DHCP required for those VoIP adapters to function.

I have Verizon Fios going straight into an Archer A2300 router. I have 2 questions; 

1. Can the Archer A2300 be used as the root router and connect 3 M9 nodes to it?

2. Instructions given are to define a different SSID and password. Am I creating a new SSID on the router or the Nodes?

3. If I turn off the wifi for the router, how will the router communicate to the Nodes? 

Hi, new to this community, I am in Australia, ISP is Aussie broadband, Internet connection is NBN Fiber to the Node, I use a modem router TP-Link Archer 2100 One Mesh ready.

I have 2 TP-Link Deco M9 Plus, one is connected wired to the router, the other is connected WiFi to the first deco. All setup with the app. I have a wired network, a switch TP-Link 1600G-52PS wired to the router, the wired network uses IP range 192.168.1.1 - 254 with auto select range 100 to 199 by the router which is OK with me. A WiFi network setup in the router was operational before setting up the mesh. It was and still available in the same range 192.168.1.1 [Gateway] but with not a good coverage in the house, reason for the mesh. When the app setup the mesh, I was asked to choose another SSID = the mesh uses the range 192.168.68.1. which is not very convenient for me regarding home devices like TV being wired and now I cannot control my wired devices using mobile devices.

I have 2 questions 1/ is it possible and efficient to have both network using the same SSID and address range  OR 2/ if yes how do I proceed methodically to have things working fine. Also is it better to use WiFi connections between the mesh units or can I wired them with CAT6. I am computer and network literate but not an expert. Thank you, any feedback will be welcome. have a great day, John

I have a technical question. I'm running and Xfinity XB6-T modem in bridge mode, with a Asus RT-AC87u router that has a VPN firmware installed. Before I installed this router for the easy VPN install, I used 5 deco's in WiFi mode to access the parental controls. It was suggested to me to put the deco's in AP mode to not interfere with the Asus Router. However I would lose the parental controls. Can I turn off the WiFi capabilities of the Asus Router and keep the deco's in WiFi mode to continue using the parental controls w/o interference? Any advise would be greatly appreciated as my wife and son have been growing ever so aggravated with the lost connections I've been getting.

Thanks

I've just switched from a cable ISP to AT&T Uverse. As I understand it, the first step in setting up ip passthrough on the AT&T gateway is to put the Deco X55 in a DHCP mode such that it receives its ip address from the gateway device. I have 2 questions:

1. I don't see anywhere in the Deco app to do that. Where is it and what is it called?
  2. The whole point of this is so I don't have new ip addresses assigned to all my IoT and other devices, which would create a major headache. When the X55 is in this mode where it receives its own ip address from the gateway, are the ip addresses already assigned to my other devices by the Deco going to change?

@urbino 

1) I believe you can control that by setting the Internet Connection Type to "Dynamic IP".
You can find this option under "Internet Connection", "IPV4".

2) If your Deco is currently assiging IP addresses to your devices, it will continue doing so, and will continue assigning addresses from the same range of addresses.  Deco is assigning addresses when its Operation Mode (in "Advanced") is "Wi-Fi Router".

Thanks, @yves_b. I'll give that a try!

I have a starlink router and starlink mesh unit running with the same SSID.  I am going to connect a Deco mesh (all units in AP mode) to the starlink router.  There will be a main connected to the router by ethernet and the two other deco will be connected to the main by ethernet as well.  Can I run the Starlink and Deco networks with the same SSID?

I have a Deco AC1900 connected to my vacation house with a local fiberoptic internet provider. 

How do I connect another Deco AC1900 to xFinity router in my house in another state? The app doesnt give me any option for a second router

upload
    upload