Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Released On: 2019-05-10 20:53:31Last update time: 2022-05-05 23:32:50

There may be a situation you would like to swap out the Deco wired to the modem for one of the satellite units. The Deco that is wired to the modem is designated as the “main” Deco so if you want to swap it out with another Deco, there is a certain process to do that. Doing this will avoid the need to setting up a new mesh network and configuring the network all over.

In this example we will use the Deco M5. You will need to be connected to the Wi-Fi network on the Deco unit before you begin. If you are not connected to the local Wi-Fi, you will not see the option to choose a different Deco to be the main.

If your phone shows it is connected to the Deco’s Wi-Fi network but you still can’t see the “Set Main Deco” option, force your Deco App to close. Go to the Settings->Wi-Fi, and confirm your phone is connected to the Deco’s Wi-Fi network. Once it is, open the Deco app and try again.

If your phone has a VPN program running, please close this to avoid potential issues.

Step 1. Tap Internet icon on the Overview page.

https://static.tp-link.com/picture_1_1553220934616d.png

Step 2. Click on the three dots icon on right top corner, then tap “Set Main Deco”.

https://static.tp-link.com/picture_2_1553220946368o.png

Step 3. Select the Deco which you want to use as a main Deco, click on Save.

https://static.tp-link.com/picture_3_1553220955659p.png

After you finished the setup process, please connect the new Main Deco to the modem by an Ethernet cable, power it on, and then you can enjoy the internet.

The Deco that was wired to the modem can now be placed anywhere else as it will now act as one of the satellite units

Comment

I have 2 E4 units.

I got a new M4 and added it to the network

Tried several times to change the master to M4, each time resulting in: failed, please try again later

I have multiple smart home units connected to the guest 2.4g and do not want to delete the network and add them all again, will be a waste of couple hours.

Please advice

Indeed very useful, it should be easier found under chapter Gateway Practices.

It should be fine to make safely possible to change the owner (credentials) due to long distance matters to even manage the DECO network 3000 miles away

nice information, i really need this , thank you sir

Is this only avialable for units in Router mode and not in AP mode?

Dang it, I was looking for something like this a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the info anyway. smiley

Actions speak louder than words.

Tried several times to change the master to M4, each time resulting in: failed, please try again later

Hi!

All my Deco M5 connect to the principal, even the one farthest to it, having a low signal. How can I connect a Deco M5 to another one that is not the principal?

Thanks!

@JohnnyR 

Power down the satellite unit, then power it back up to see which unit it connects to or reset it by holding the rest for 1 second, then add it back to the Deco network.

There may be times when connecting directly to the main unit is a better choice even if another unit is nearby.

Hello,

I notice several people asking basically the same question in different forums but no satisfactory answer has been forthcoming.

TP, please provide a clear answers to each of these connection questions and state the specific steps to reach satisfactory resolution.  If there is no solution, which part of the basic mesh principle have I misunderstood?

1/

Should a daisy-chained distant unit wherever it may be, try to connect to the nearest and/or strongest meshed unit or will it default to the main? 

2/

If answer to above is "yes, the strongest signal", does the signal source name for any distributed deco always refer to the main unit anyway or will it change to the intermediate?

3/

My 4 distributed 1200 deco units are connected or trying to connect to the main unit even though the signal in my stone-walled house is quickly attenuated / not viable. Even though I have placed a unit directly in a convenient window to provide a signal for the garden building, the deco in the garden building is trying to connect to an extremely weak signal from the original and main unit through a two-foot stone wall. What should I do?

The same is happening the the top floor unit which is bypassing the 1st floor hallway deco.

I notice that several times the advice to such issues has been to re-assign the main unit to some centrally located device. This is of no use if that central device is even further away.

3/

Have any of these issues got anything to do with hardwiring or backhauling settings etc? If hardwiring is required for good performance it rather negates the purpose of mesh as I understand it.

4/

If the solution(s) is to download software upgrades or beta, please explain exactly where to find detailed instructions on the steps needed.

Thank you for your help.

I don't get that option when i click the 3 dots

upload
    upload