Connecting a TP-Link Router to a Gateway with Bridge Mode

Released On: 2023-05-17 00:33:39Last update time: 2023-05-19 16:34:26

Please First See our New Knowledge Base Article: Comparing Gateways to Routers and Modems

Why Do I Need to Enable Bridge Mode?

Bridge Mode can be useful for a variety of reasons, such as when you want to use your own router for routing and security or when you are using a modem/router combo device and you want to bypass the built-in router functionalities. Enabling Bridge Mode will disable the “Router” functionality on your Gateway and will operate much more like a traditional modem.

What is Bridge Mode?

Bridge mode is necessary when using another router in a network setup to prevent conflicts and improve overall performance. When you connect two routers to the same network, there is a risk of issues arising due to multiple devices managing network tasks simultaneously.

This setting can be found in the management app or WebUI for your Gateway. You may disable the routing functionality on your device by enabling Bridge Mode. You may also see this Bridge Mode referred to as IP Passthrough Mode or Bypass Mode.

Once enabled, your gateway will operate much like a traditional modem and will simply forward all traffic between your local network and the internet. This also disables any NAT or DHCP Servers.

Bridge Mode vs. IP Passthrough

At a user level, IP Passthrough and Bridge Modes provide the same basic functionality, despite doing so in different ways. IP Passthrough allows your Gateway to give a singular device on your network a Public Facing IP address, while Bridge Mode stops handling all traffic and simply forwards traffic to your ISP through the Modem, which is using the Public IP.

For most users, you may use either mode, as IP Passthrough simply allows for more complicated network configurations if needed.

Please see the support resources for your specific brand of gateway to locate the setting. Some ISPs may also require that you contact them directly to have the setting changed for your network.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What Do I Do If You Cannot Enable Bridge Mode on Your Gateway?

While most gateways provide an option to disable the routing functionality, there are cases where this may not be possible due to additional functionality provided by your ISP or the type of broadband connection. In this situation, you must configure your router or mesh network in AP Mode.

Access-Point Mode simply serves to pass any wireless or wired traffic back to your main router. This allows your main router to manage the traffic, manage the firewall, and allow devices to see each other on the network.

Please see the following FAQs for more information on the differences between Router and AP modes:

The Differences Between Router and AP Mode on Deco

Difference Between AP Mode and Router Mode for TP-Link Wireless Routers

If I am Currently Using a Gateway, Can I Switch to a Modem?

Most ISPs offer alternative devices for your network, whether it be more powerful Gateways or a simple modem. Your ISP should provide you with a list of recommended modems known to work with their connection. If a list is not provided, please check with your ISP to see what version of DOCSIS is recommended for compatibility with your ISP and connection.

Where Can I Add A Network Switch To My Network Configuration?

Please Note that when Bridge Mode is enabled, only one of the gateway’s Ethernet ports can be used for a connection to the internet and should be wired directly to your router. You may add a network-switch to provide additional ports for wired connections.

When Adding a Network Switch to your network, please be aware that there should only be one device wired directly to your modem or bridged gateway, your router. Any other devices or switches must be placed after your router or main mesh node.

Basic Network Configuration

Internet > Gateway(Bridged) > Router > Wired and Wireless Devices.

Setup with a Network Switch:

Internet > Gateway(Bridged) > Router > Network Switch > Devices and Access Points

Setup for Mesh Nodes:

Internet > Gateway(Bridged) > Main Mesh Mode > *Network Switch > Other Nodes and Devices > Devices Connecting Through Satellite Nodes

Setup for Non-Bridged Gateways:

Internet >  Gateway > Access Points and Devices

Related Articles:

The Differences Between Router and AP Mode on Deco

Difference Between AP Mode and Router Mode for TP-Link Wireless Routers

Comment

When my Archer 2800 is in bridge mode, the internet light is orange and I'm unable to run speed tests from within the admin panel. Is this expected for bridge mode or is there a problem?

upload
    upload