Getting Wi-Fi to your backyard

A common problem someone will face is how to have Wi-Fi coverage outside of their residence. With emerging products such as our Deco units or utilizing products that have OneMesh, coverage in your house can be resolved with that.

Providing a wireless connection is a bit different in that you can not easily place a Deco unit in the middle of the yard or have a range extender outside with an extension cable. Yes, you can do that, but you could be at risk of the device failing as they are not designed for outside use.

The safest approach is to use an outdoor rated networking device. There are various ways to tackle this coverage issue.

One way is to use CPE outdoor AP units to beam the signal to another CPE the have a attached router to provide Wi-Fi.

Another way is to use the EAP110-Outdoor or the EAP225-Outdoor. A big difference between the CPE devices and the EAP is the EAP devices are omnidirectional so the signal will be broadcasted similar to how a Wi-Fi router does. The CPE devices are very directional, mainly good for sending a signal from point to point.

If you are trying to decide which EAP to get, the EAP 110 is 2.4Ghz only, and has a 100 Mbps Ethernet port to receive the internet connection. The EAP225 is dual band and has a gigabit port. EAP units must be wired to the router, it does not use Wi-Fi to receive internet.

In using the above image as a reference, the left house will just have the EAP Outdoor unit that will blanket the area with a wireless signal so you can just connect to the available network directly like you would do in your house.

To summarize, if you are looking for complete home coverage our Deco systems do a great job at that. If you are more comfortable working with a router, then the AX6000 would be a solid choice. You might have a situation where the Deco or router might still be able to reach outside and nothing else Is needed for outside, but if coverage is needed the EAP Outdoor would work fine.

Comment

I am not that technical but technical enough to have installed 2 x CPE-510 units to get internet to my garden room and have the remote unit wired to a simple switch and then into a Netgear wireless access point creating a separate wireless network in the garden room.  I have used TP Link powerline in the house but the mains to the garden room was not solid enoughor on a separate circuit  to use powerline there hence the CPE solution.

I just installed a Mesh P9 wireless/powerline combo in the house and was wondering if there is a way of using the CPE-510 as part of the same mesh network so that I can retain the same wireless network ID in all locations including the garden room.

It all seems to work fine but wondering if the transmitting CPE-510 is creating another wireless network that could interfere with the single network from the P9 and whether there is a simpler config to add the garden to the mesh.

Any help welcome.

@GrahamPat 

Only another Deco would be able to extender the mesh network. A easy setup would be to use a EAP225-Outdoor, have that wired to one of the Deco units (can not extend the Deco signal wirelessly).

So I have a TP Link Archer AX6000 router in my home with wired and wireless connections.  I have a pool outside in my backyard that I am trying to get wireless outside in my pool patio area. I have an ethernet cable wired underground from my home to my pool house.   I just purchased a CPE210 device to mount outside on the pool house that is wired into my network switch and then wired into the my TP link router.  I was having difficulties with mobile devices and devices in general connecting to it.   I did configure the CPE210 as an AP with a different SSID so that we can differentiate between the wireles networks.  I am wondering whether it is better to purchase an EAP 110 or 225 instead?  Any recommendations on the configuration?  We have a lot of guests that would want to connect to the wireless outside when visiting.

@bernstma75 

The CPE broadcasts the signal in a very directional manner. If you need a general area covered I would go for the EAP225-Outdoor as that sends the signal in an omnidirectional manner.

Hi. I am currently trying to sort out a network in a pool complex. Currently they have a MR6400 however the range isn't good enough. Would I be able to install a EAP110-outdoor cabled into the MR6400 in order to extend the range to other buildings? Thanks

@Tam459 

You could, you would just need to run an Ethernet cable from the MR6400 to where ever you plan to put the EAP.

Hi, you bunch of techy types!

I have been struggling with a stable and efficient setup using my CPE210  to enable wifi throughout  my property in the Ozarks to have internet in various outbuildings. I have a fiber optics router transmitting in the main house to a Netgear EX8000 extender, ( good connectivity at only about 30 feet ), which is where the CPE210 is connected. The Pharos unit is up on a flagpole connected by 25ft of all weather cat-5. I have tried to provide wifi to my acreage, with no reliable success. What are the suggestions as to what settings and what mode I should use. Appreciate any advice y'all can provide!

FYI, running cable is not an option

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions