Ways to deal with high ping
What’s the ping?
Ping is a method to test network performance. The measurement is realized by sending packets to the specific server and get a response. Sending a ping packet to the internet server will let the detect network packet pass through the WAN port of the router, then if the server responds with a result, the router is supposed to forward it back to the computer immediately. If there is no response or a delayed response, it means that the network is interrupted, or the internet access is bad.
1. How to test ping?
- Using Command (CMD) on the computer which you may refer here.
- Using speed test software, like www.speedtest.net
- Some online games show ping for you
2. How do I tell if the ping is high?
In gaming, any amounts below a ping of 20ms are considered exceptional and “low ping,” amounts between 50ms and 100ms range from very good to average, while a ping of 150ms or more is deemed “high ping.” But the ping result depends on how you test the ping and which server you are connected to.
3. What factors could cause high ping?
- Poor Internet service provider quality or slow internet speed.
- Inadequate bandwidth.
- Geographical location, like the server you use, is too far away.
- VPN influence, in that your computer is currently set up with a VPN connection.
4. What should I do if I get the high ping value after the TP-Link Wi-Fi router?
Let’s check the following topology and troubleshooting steps:
Note: means wireless connection. means wired connection.
When both laptop and desktop get high ping, we need to ping the public IP address on the router to locate the issue.
- Login into the web interface of the router, click here to know more details.
- Go to Advanced—System tools—Diagnostic
- Choose Ping from Diagnostic Tools, type in public IP address, like 18.104.22.168.