No network printer recognition on new C2600 Router installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No network printer recognition on new C2600 Router installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:No network printer recognition on new C2600 Router installation
2019-10-07 16:07:57 - last edited 2019-10-08 18:03:56

@scottmk 

Set up a address reservation in the router for the MAC address of the printer.

Here is a FAQ on setting it up: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1554/

Options
2019-10-07 22:16:37

@Tony 

Thanks for the suggestion, Tony, though it also fails to resolve the issue of the TP-Link interface not showing the printer until I've pinged it.  I had reserved the MAC address back before my initial chat session with Nico Aaron back in July, but Nico had me undo the MAC address reservation.  It doesn't get the printer to show up on its own, anyway, so it doesn't matter one way or the other, really.

I appreciate your suggestions.  If you have any others, I'll take them.  It might just be the way it is, though.

Options
2019-10-08 18:16:05

@scottmk 

I would reach out to the printer manufacturer to see if there could be a certain wireless configuration that might cause it to act that way. If other networking devices are not acting the same way then there could be something on the printer end we are not seeing.

Options
2019-10-08 18:43:10

@Tony 

Contacting Canon will be the next step.  However, this is not a wireless printer, it is a network printer and prints wirelessly through the TP-Link Archer A9.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  If Canon has any insight, I'll be sure to post it here.

Options
2019-10-13 22:36:07

@scottmk 

I haven't had a chance to contact Canon yet.  However, yesterday I was printing several multi-page documents wirelessly through my network to the network printer, and in the middle of spooling a print job, it hung and I couldn't get the printer to respond from my laptop.  I had already printed several documents.

I couldn't print anything, even after clearing the print queue, so I had no choice but to reboot the router.  This is the problem that I'm trying to avoid, and clearly there's something not correct in the A9 router reliably recognizing the printer.  This is with the new, CAT6 ethernet cable connecting the printer to the router, with the same assigned IP address of 192.168.0.195.

I'll let you know if Canon is able to help out.

Thank you.

Options
2019-10-14 15:54:30

scottmk wrote

@scottmk 

I haven't had a chance to contact Canon yet.  However, yesterday I was printing several multi-page documents wirelessly through my network to the network printer, and in the middle of spooling a print job, it hung and I couldn't get the printer to respond from my laptop.  I had already printed several documents.

I couldn't print anything, even after clearing the print queue, so I had no choice but to reboot the router.  This is the problem that I'm trying to avoid, and clearly there's something not correct in the A9 router reliably recognizing the printer.  This is with the new, CAT6 ethernet cable connecting the printer to the router, with the same assigned IP address of 192.168.0.195.

I'll let you know if Canon is able to help out.

Thank you.

@scottmk 

Yes, please let me know the result of it.

Options
2019-10-25 21:42:21

@Tony 

After waiting on hold for a Canon tech for about a 1/2 hour, after having to ask for tech support through sales because they only offer online support for this product any longer, Canon proved to be no help at all, surprisingly, because they've always been helpful in the past.  His only suggestions were to reset the printer to factory defaults ("clear it out"), and that the network card might be going bad in the printer -- this despite the fact that nothing on the printer side has changed and it ALWAYS showed up in my D-Link router and ALWAYS printed reliably through the D-Link.  Also, he kept saying that the drivers haven't been updated in four years for this printer, even though it's not a driver issue as the computer wired to the router sees the printer just fine and prints to it just fine, as well.  There are Mac drivers on the Canon site current to this month -- probably because of Catalina -- so I'm unclear what he was talking about, and I pointed that out to him, too.  Nonetheless, all he did was send me a link to the support page on their website -- which I already had up...

Yes, it's a 10-11 year old printer.  But, it worked fine through the D-Link, so I don't think it's anything to do with the printer, but I could be wrong.  I'm tempted to put my D-Link back in service and see what happens...

Options
2019-10-25 22:01:29

@greywing 

Swap the router to see if the issue stays with the TP-Link and not the other router. 

If that is the case, there is some incompatibility going on.

Options
Related Articles