RE650 WiFi Extender password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-07 08:15:50
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi TpLink Team,

I recently brought TPLink RE650 Wi-Fi extender and it work amazing, but it lacks one big use case.

I am a traveler and travel almost every month. Each time I check-in to any hotel or a public place with Wi-Fi, I connect all my devices to the new network. Recently I started to take my RE650 with me to extend hotel's Wi-Fi to my devices, but the problem remains same. Even though my extender SSID remain the same, I still have to update the password on all the device.

Is there a way to have the same SSID and password even in extender mode? Maybe it is time for a new firmware upgrade. This functionality will be great for travelers like me.

Thanks,

Anshul

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE650 WiFi Extender password
2020-05-07 22:42:15

@Anshul 

No, that will not change as the extender will always use the password of the host network.

What you can look at is to use our portable routers that have a hotspot mode where the only thing you configure is the connection to the wireless network. The portable router will also have its own wireless network so that way the password stays the same: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1501/

Options