RE305 Heats Up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE305 Heats Up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE305 Heats Up
RE305 Heats Up
2020-06-22 20:25:22
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Unk

I have the RE305 Extender and is about a week old.  This morning, I noticed it was very hot so unplugged it and cooled it off and replugged it back in.  It is warm, but otherwise so far so good.  I am not that impressed as I wanted to extend the range of my Arris Surfboard to have service on the screenhouse.  Initially, I replace Xfinitiy's pod and put the extender in that outlet, but the RE305 couldn't pick up the 2.4 ghz, so had to move it closer giving me only a "Fair" signal.

So, any advice on the heating up and any advice about if there is a better extender that will do better than 300 mbps on 2.4 ghz and use the full range of my modem/router?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Options
3 Reply
Re:RE305 Heats Up
2020-06-23 21:58:24

@richjb54 

You could possibly look at the RE650. The device contains multiple external antennas that should perform better.

The 2.4GHz N theoretical speeds are 300 Mbps, real-world speeds will give about 150 to 200 Mbps, and add extenders working in half-duplex which makes for lower speeds.

If you want the best speed possible, I would run an Ethernet cable from the router to the extender, and configure the extender as an access point.

If you feel the extender is hot compared to other extenders used in the past, I would recommend contacting our support to see if it may be malfunctioned.

Options
2020-06-24 16:30:06

@Tony 

Thank you.  What is the difference between using it as an access point versus an extender?  By the way, my modem/router speed is in excess of 800 mbps so something near that speed on 2.4 would be desirable.

Options
2020-06-24 18:06:55

@richjb54 

As an extender the device will connect to the router wirelessly and broadcast the signal further. In that setting it will run in half-duplex meaning it needs to send the data, then receive the data so speed takes a hit. 

While in AP mode it utilizes an Ethernet cable from it to the router. In that setting the extender runs in full-duplex like your main router does so you would generally see speeds better then if it was working solely off Wi-Fi. The biggest drawback is that there needs to be an Ethernet cable from the router to the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1278

Replies: 3

Related Articles