Would an extender woek?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Would an extender woek?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Would an extender woek?
Would an extender woek?
2020-07-18 22:14:35

I am trying to improve my outdoor web connection. With my current router, I get a marginal signal where I want improved access. The location is about 200 feet from the router. I was wondering if I place an extender outside (in a protected location) that is about 175 feet from where I want access. This would be 175 feet of air. No buildings of foilage. Basically straight line of sight. Any thoughts/recommendation. This woould only be used for three months during the pandemic.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Would an extender woek?
2020-07-21 17:39:11

@noname87 

I would probably look at using an EAP225-Outdoor AP unit which it should be able to hit the 200 feet mark.

An extender works off the existing wireless signal so if the signal is weak where the area you need it is, then it may lose connection from time to time.

Options
2020-07-30 23:32:15

@Tony I ened up trying the EAP110-Outdoors since I only need 2.4 and 300 MPS. Howerver I am having mixed results. I am getting -65 to -72 db at 180 feet in open air (basically line of sight). The signal strength seems to bouces around. The EAP110 is directly connect to my router. If I connect to the my main router (Linksys EA4500) I get -60 db that is solid (I do see an ocassional dip to -70). However this router is in my house. The point to point distance would be 200+ feet and it has to pass through the exterior wall (mainly glass).

Would the eap225 be better? What about using an CPE210 in AP mode. I realize  that this directional and would need to be aimed to where I want coverage.

Tony wrote

@noname87 

I would probably look at using an EAP225-Outdoor AP unit which it should be able to hit the 200 feet mark.

An extender works off the existing wireless signal so if the signal is weak where the area you need it is, then it may lose connection from time to time.

Options
2020-07-31 20:42:30

@noname87 

I would go point to point so have two CPEs aiming at each other. If you happen to have a spare access point to put at the other end or router then that should work.

Something similar to this: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1226/

Especially have you have a clear line of sight which wouldn't make installing hard.

The benefit I can see with the EAP225-Outdoor is that it has the 5G which should have less interference compared to the 2.4G. If your devices only see 2.4G then EAP225 would not work for you in that case.

If the devices that need the signal were able to reach back at that distance to the EAP110 you could try a CPE210 in AP. 

Options