AX3000 Changing NAT Type for Nintendo Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 22:49:26
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm unable to change the NAT Type for a Nintendo Switch. Everytime I try, the NAT Type remains a D. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:AX3000 Changing NAT Type for Nintendo Switch
2020-11-05 23:01:30

@JMK215 

You don't change the NAT type on the router.  What likely is happening is UPNP is not opening the correct ports.  You would need to contact Nintendo so see what ports the Switch needs to be open and then create port forwarding rules for those ports. 

Options
2020-11-05 23:55:56
Sounds good and thanks, Carl. I will reach out to Nintendo. I appreciate your follow up!
Options
2020-11-06 01:07:39

@Carl Nintendo's listed 1-65535 as the ports to use. In the port triggering section of the router, is there a way to enter the IP address? Or is this not the area where this is entered?

Options
2020-11-06 20:18:31

@JMK215 

You wouldn't use port triggering.  This would be under port forwarding.  Advanced > Nat Forwarding > virtual servers.  You can use this FAQ to help

Options
2021-04-03 23:22:55

@Carl 

Hi, 

I have the Archer a8 and I don't have an option for virtual server.

Only Port forwarding and port trigerring. Could you let me know how to do this?

Options
2021-04-06 15:57:36

@Pawel1991 

Virtual Servers and Port Forwarding are the same thing.  You would use that feature. 

Options
2021-04-21 00:13:15

@Carl 

I am hoping you can help me with a similar issue with the Archer A6.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can find online to change the NAT D on the switch.  The tech people I have chatted with at TP-Link's website have not been successful and to a certain extent, they have not been as knowledgeable as I would have hoped considering that there are hundreds of references to Switch and NAT D on the internet.

I manually assigned an IP address to the Switch.  Tried adding it to Virtual Services (had to put the full range in one port and leave the other blank to get the range to auto-fill).  Changed the DMZ setting.  Nothing works.  Each time I make and save the setting, I re-run the test on Switch and it still says D.

Upgraded firmware.  Made sure Switch is updated.  Nothing.

I have talked to two different techs today and both gave me conflicting instructions.

I was really hoping to get this set up so my 8 year old can play Mario Kart with her 7 year old cousin online (and I can play with my brother).

There are a ton of options in the advance settings for the A6 router that I just don't know what they do or if there is one simple thing that would stop the Port Forwarding from working after following all of the steps that are posted?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Options
2021-04-21 16:21:54

@Ekvitki 

Hi Keith,

Nothing in the advanced settings would affect the NAT type that your Switch is showing.  Instead this is a factor of either the ISP blocking the traffic or an issue in the UPNP settings.   It can even be due to your modem also being a router and creating a double NAT environment. Typically this is solved by placing the client device (Switch) into the DMZ or by using the port forwarding/virtual servers function. Since you stated you have tried that and it did not work, I would suggest checking the ISP modem and seeing if its a Gateway (modem and router) combo.  You can tell this typically if the device has a wireless light and multiple Ethernet ports, or if your Internet/WAN IP on the A6 is a private IP  If it is then you need to put that device in Modem only or bridge mode or switch your A6 to AP mode disabling its routing functions. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5110

Replies: 8

Related Articles