range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
range extender
range extender
2020-11-13 23:06:44

I purchased a AC750 RE220 to extend the wifi signal to an out building about 5o ft from house.  I configured the ac750 as an access point and it it hardwired with an ethernet cable.  The reception in the outbuilding still could be better.  So would it work to purchase another ac750 and place it in the outbuilding to get the signal better?

Options
1 Reply
Re:range extender
2020-11-16 16:51:26

@jrkd2015 

If the signal is strong enough the second extender can take that and make the signal stronger to the outbuilding.

The biggest issue you might see is the speed will degrade by half. So for example, if you currently get may 20 Mbps from the outhouse, expect to get around 10 Mbps if going through a second extender.

You generally want an extender to be at the midpoint to reach devices about equal distance from it. So placing an extender in the same room as the device nearby may end up hurting the overall performance compared to connecting directly to the router or nearby networking device. If the devices are on the opposite end of the outbuilding, then an extender would help.

The speed you may need might be that the setup would work fine for you so I think it would be worth testing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 432

Replies: 1

Related Articles