Is the TP-Link WiFi Extender Secure?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-29 19:20:01
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

On my iMac when I show available netwrorks, the TP-Link RE220 I have in the garage is showing up as an unsecured network. I'm new to network wifi extenders and not a network geek at all. I plugged it in 10 feet from my Netgear router, pushed the button and I think that was supposed to "connect" the extender to the router? OK, so I then moved it to my garage and plugged it in the wall, connected an ethernet cable that is wired to a gigabit switch. I turned on my laptop in the garage and did a speed test and I think it was around 35 Mbps which was a decent change from no wifi extender at 9 Mbps.  I don't know if its optimized or whether I should expect any better. On my iMac which is hardwired to the router... I can pull 948 Mbps (Xfinity 1.2 Gig Plan) download speeds.

So back to the TP-Link... should it be showing up as an unsecured network? Can anybody jump onto that open network without a password? And should there be a password to keep unauthorized people out of my network?  Lastly, if it _HAS_ to be listed how do I secure it?

TIA for the help/advice.

Mike

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is the TP-Link WiFi Extender Secure?
2021-02-01 19:11:43

@OLDTMR 

When you first power on the TP-Link extender it will broadcast a default network name with no password. The reason is it is not configured, when the extender is configured it will have a new network name, depending on how you set it up, and it will use the same wireless password of your router and use it for itself to secure it. 

For example.

When powering on extender:

Router: mywifi

Extender: TP_LINK1234 (unsecured)

After configuring the extender:

Router: mywifi

Extender: mywifi-ext (secured)

So if you still see the extender broadcasting the default network, you probably did not set it up.

I would recommend using this guide that shows how to set it up with our Tether app: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1373/

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5097

Replies: 1

Related Articles