Read-only USB Thumb Drive, Archer AC1750 C8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-02 03:28:01 - last edited 2021-04-02 12:50:24
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest as of April 2021

My old/cheap wifi router could easily do both:
1. From within my home's local network (LAN) I could read/write to the USB Thumb Drive plugged in.
(No name/password was ever needed)

2. From the Internet (WAN), anyone could read from the USB Thumb Drive (but only if they knew the name/password).
(Write access was never allowed, no matter which name/password was used)

My new/expensive wifi router (Tp-Link C8 AC1750) can't seem to do both.  One seems to exclude the other.

Does anyone know what config settings I would need to do both of these, simultaneously?

1.  From inside my LAN, read/write, no password ever needed.
2.  From WAN, read only, password needed.   Write mode = never.

I'm pretty sure 100% of this was done INSIDE my old router, where the thumb drive lives.

I would think those would be a VERY common setting.  Not sure why it seems to be so hard to find.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Read-only USB Thumb Drive, Archer AC1750 C8
2021-04-02 10:36:36

@SmartGirl 

Don't know the answer for the specific router, but I've got no problem on my A20.

I'm on W10, and I have a Windows Credential that supplies the UserID and Password needed to access the drive:

At least I recall that worked. I don't do that anymore so I can't be sure (use Access Autorization) as my DLNA client can't handle the access request. I don't share it over the WAN either.

I suspect you had created that Credential for the old router and forgot that is how it was done?

I could be wrong, but doing the above might work for you now?

Options
2021-04-02 12:49:58

@IrvSp I'm not sure how setting some values on 1 of our 5 internal LAN machines would cause:

Every inside the network to NEVER need a password, but can still read+write. 

But someone 1000 miles away *WOULD* need a read-password.  And be forbidden from ever writing.

I'm pretty sure 100% of this was done INSIDE my old router, where the thumb drive lives.

Options
2021-04-02 19:43:26

SmartGirl wrote

@IrvSp I'm not sure how setting some values on 1 of our 5 internal LAN machines would cause:

@SmartGirl 

Correct, that would need to be done on every PC, not just one.

Unless you knew what you set  on the unspecified router, I can't think of anything, unless it had some 'access control' setting for LAN devices? Of the router's I've used, LinkSys, ASUS, Netgear, and TP-Link.

All I've used required a UID and P/W by the device that tried to use the USB drive when it was protected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 481

Replies: 3

Related Articles