Router not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router not working
Router not working
2021-12-29 08:33:58
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Installed and reinstalled Archer A10 with Cisco modem for better coverage using Spectrum.  All router lights on, modem and internet working but when I try to connect to Wi-Fi, get error message "no internet connection".  Old Cisco router works fine.  Any suggestions?  Support with chatbot less than desirable.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Router not working
2021-12-29 12:39:34

@MaryDel 

Do you have a wired device to check with?

MaryDel wrote

Installed and reinstalled Archer A10 with Cisco modem for better coverage using Spectrum.  All router lights on, modem and internet working but when I try to connect to Wi-Fi, get error message "no internet connection".  Old Cisco router works fine.  Any suggestions?  Support with chatbot less than desirable.

When you say 'Old Cisco router works fine', did you power everything OFF and then ON when switching the router? Modem's will remember in most cases the MAC Address of the old unit connected to it. Have to power cycle everything when switching a modem or router. Otherwise what you see happening can happen (not always though).

Give it a try if you've not already done this,

• Power OFF both modem and router, no matter what router is connected to the modem.
  • Connect the A10 to the modem.
  • Power on the Spectrum Router.
  • Wait for the Spectrum Router to be completely up.
  • Then power up the A10.
  • Wait for it to come completely up.
  • Check for connectivity.
Options
2021-12-29 16:24:42
Yes I have done as you suggest 2x. Removed the coax cable from the modem as well as power everything down and then start with the coax, power on modem wait for it to completely setup and then move to the modem and power it up. All lights say there is internet connectivity - I can see the TP-Link_XXXX on my list of WiFi options when I connect - I get the connect icon but the words under the ID name say No Internet Connection (in orange on my iPhone 12 ios 15.2) and on my windows laptop. I am going out today to buy an ethernet hub and cable to plug laptop in directly to modem but I don't think that is the problem. I reinstalled the old modem last night to watch a movie and it works fine (Cisco router). I really think the issue is in the TP-Link router. Any other ideas?
Options
2021-12-29 16:56:19

MaryDel wrote

I really think the issue is in the TP-Link router. Any other ideas?

@MaryDel 

Well, other things that could play into this is the devices themselves.

Minor things could also be in play such as the SECURITY. Other settings too..

However, your devices can see the SSID. The other Router works fine. So I'd look at all the settings. Compare to the TP-LINK, paying attention to the WIRELESS settings in particular. I'd think the Channel should not matter in this case. If your settings are set to AUTO for Version and and Encryption, use the last choice on each, some people needed to do that, especially on the iPhones although that was for 'weak security'.

Can your laptop do ethernet connection? If that can, does it too get No Internet, just the Lan connection.

Another question, is the SSID the SAME on the TP-Link as the Cisco? If SO, FORGET the connection on the device, that could be the problem. More data is saved for the connection than you might be aware of.

Under the ADVANCED tab, System Tools, there is a Diagnostic choice. Click on that and enter a valid URL, like WWW.CBS.COM. Does that work or is there and error?

Also there is a Systrm Log choice, does that have any data that might suggest why this is happening?

Last thing to check, the DNS setting, should be the same. If you can't reach the DNS that would cause the same error message. I'll assume they are not set in the devices or if they were, it was not changed.

Options
2021-12-29 17:57:15
Thanks. No the SSID is different - yes that would cause issues if the same - get that. How do I look at the settings? I have used NetGear in the past - this is my first time with TP-Link. Cisco router worked fine with Weak Security noted. I understand why we should improve this. You say "Under the ADVANCED tab, System Tools, there is a Diagnostic choice. Click on that and enter a valid URL, like WWW.CBS.COM. Does that work or is there and error?" Also there is a System Log choice, does that have any data that might suggest why this is happening? What url or place do I go look at ADVANCED tab, Systems Tool? M
Options
2022-01-02 00:59:33

@MaryDel 

MaryDel wrote

What url or place do I go look at ADVANCED tab, Systems Tool? M

You use a BROWSER and then LOG INTO the Router. Can also use TETHER on a phone/tablet/

Check this link for how to do it via a Browser, https://emulator.tp-link.com/a10-v2-us/index.html (copy and paste into your browser).

If you have used NetGear in the past, this isn't really any different.

If unsure, here is a link to the EMULATOR for A10 V2, https://emulator.tp-link.com/a10-v2-us/index.html and you can follow my instruction on that URL and do the same on the router using a Browser once logged in.

All the steps are dianostic in nature. Just to see IF the router IS connected to the Internet or not?

Options
2022-01-02 19:05:50

@IrvSp 

Thank you will try that this afternoon.

M

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 705

Replies: 7

Related Articles