Switching from old router to new AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-19 21:07:58 - last edited 2022-05-07 12:59:03
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.6

I am getting ready to replace the original fiber router that came with My Frontier (formerly Verizon) system. I was hoping that I could find a method of doing this that would prevent me from having to enter all the devices that I currently have connected to it. I currently have 12 static devices and over 45 DHCP devices. 

Should I be able to connect a cable from my switch to one of the ports on the AX6000 and make many of the settings prior to connecting the WAN cable?

Are there some default user/pswd that would help? the bottom label has wifi ids plus a pin. 

Any ideas appreciated

Kentm

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switching from old router to new AX6000-Solution
2022-04-21 19:03:10 - last edited 2022-05-07 12:59:03

@KentM 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally jumped right in with both feet and have things working pretty well. I used the phone app to establish a user/pswd combo via wifi  and then went to the primary pc connected to the router and was able to do everything from there via the web interface. . I had to re-enter the static connections as well as change to default gateway to match the old system. A nice side benefit was the clearing of all the old connections that were no longer alive. 

So far so good.

KentM

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Switching from old router to new AX6000
2022-04-19 22:50:04

@KentM 

I'm not sure what you are asking for?

KentM wrote

I was hoping that I could find a method of doing this that would prevent me from having to enter all the devices that I currently have connected to it. I currently have 12 static devices and over 45 DHCP devices. 

Do you mean you want all these devices to be exactly the same addresses they had before?

First thing is what will be the address of the router? Will it default to the same you have now? Maybe not, but once you get to the settings you can change that. Static I assume is defined by the device, that is they are NOT Reserved IP Address by MAC Address. If it is a RESERVED address, you'll need to manually enter those.

KentM wrote

Should I be able to connect a cable from my switch to one of the ports on the AX6000 and make many of the settings prior to connecting the WAN cable?

I don't how a switch came into play here, but as long as you can get to the User Interface to the router, and that would be with or without the WAN connection you can change/add anything you wish.. Actually, you might as well have the WAN cable connected so you can enable the Internet. I don't know why you wouldn't want to do that?

KentM wrote

Are there some default user/pswd that would help? the bottom label has wifi ids plus a pin. 

There is no default, usually you need to use your TP-Link ID and P/W to log into the router.

The wifi ID's are listed because most newer Router's require a WIRELESS device to access them to customize the router. Looks like this is the case for the AX6000. I suggest you review this TP-Link page, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax6000/ as it has some information that seems to be relevant to what you are asking.

You might need to get the Tether app as well to do the set-up.

Options
2022-04-20 01:55:31

IrvSp wrote

@KentM 

KentM wrote

I was hoping that I could find a method of doing this that would prevent me from having to enter all the devices that I currently have connected to it. I currently have 12 static devices and over 45 DHCP devices. 

Do you mean you want all these devices to be exactly the same addresses they had before?

First thing is what will be the address of the router? Will it default to the same you have now? Maybe not, but once you get to the settings you can change that. Static I assume is defined by the device, that is they are NOT Reserved IP Address by MAC Address. If it is a RESERVED address, you'll need to manually enter those.

IrvSp wrote

@KentM 

KentM wrote

KentM wrote

I don't how a switch came into play here, but as long as you can get to the User Interface to the router, and that would be with or without the WAN connection you can change/add anything you wish.. Actually, you might as well have the WAN cable connected so you can enable the Internet. I don't know why you wouldn't want to do that?

KentM wrote

There is no default, usually you need to use your TP-Link ID and P/W to log into the router.

The wifi ID's are listed because most newer Router's require a WIRELESS device to access them to customize the router. Looks like this is the case for the AX6000. I suggest you review this TP-Link page, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax6000/ as it has some information that seems to be relevant to what you are asking.

KentM wrote

KentM wrote

@IrvSp 

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your suggestions and for making me think this over a little more. The static i/p addresses are defined by the individual devices. The ones assigned by DHCP are the ones causing me the problem. Many of these devices are accessed by my home automation devices and have to respond via MQTT / NodeRed system that is running on a RasbPi server. I would really not like to have to go back and change all that stuff.

I need to explore the initial wifi connection some more and see what I can do there. I came across a utube video about this subject where the fellow did what I think I want, by switching SSIDs between routers, and as I understand it all the settings moved to the new router. I need to reread that some more and also study your suggestion regarding the Tether app. 

Thanks for taking the time to make you suggestion

Kentm

The switch involved is a 12 port switch connected to one of the ports of the current router

Options
2022-04-20 01:57:39

@KentM 

I also need a lesson on replying between paragraphs of these posts. 

Kentm

Options
2022-04-20 11:06:51

@KentM 

You use the Reply With Quote on the right of the menu bar, delete what you don't want, and then underneath reply. Do it as many times as needed.

Two things you'll need to do:

1. Make sure that the new router and old router have the SAME IP Address, usually 192.168.0.1 by default. That is the GATEWAY IP Address that you can see when in Windows you run IPCONFIG in a Command Window.
  2. Set DHCP to a range that excludes the Static device addresses that you now have. That is if all your Static IP Addresses start with 192.168.0.2 and end with 192.168.0.20, and to allow room for more Static IP Addresses you set DHCP to start at 192.168.0.50 for instance. All that is done in the router.
Options
Re:Switching from old router to new AX6000-Solution
2022-04-21 19:03:10 - last edited 2022-05-07 12:59:03

@KentM 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally jumped right in with both feet and have things working pretty well. I used the phone app to establish a user/pswd combo via wifi  and then went to the primary pc connected to the router and was able to do everything from there via the web interface. . I had to re-enter the static connections as well as change to default gateway to match the old system. A nice side benefit was the clearing of all the old connections that were no longer alive. 

So far so good.

KentM

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 934

Replies: 5

Related Articles