Archer AX3000 and Open VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-25 07:31:34
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20200426 rel.69563(5553)

I was able to successfully setup an OpenVPN server on my router and access it via my laptop and desktop -- but I am hoping to add some custom routing to it so that I can access other machines/local peripherals on my LAN once I connect to the VPN from either machine.  

For example, while I am logged into my wifi connection, I am able to print from my laptop on a USB-connected printer on my desktop.  I, however, lose this abiliity if I log into the OpenVPN server. 

I can restore the functionality by simply logging into the machine via RDP on my laptop -- but the connection is a bit slow and I'd like to be able to access the windows printer server without having to remotely control the computer. 

I'm not an expert at these things -- but the OpenVPN says I need to add routes to my server side and client side configuration files.  It seems very straight forward -- but given the TPLink server-side OpenVPN setup is automated -- is there any way to push custom configurations to my TPLink OpenVPN client?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer AX3000 and Open VPN
2022-08-26 00:21:04

@ICMW,

I will defintely have to look into this a bit more, but I think that you may be able to set these port forwarding rules in the main router settings. I would think that the VPN would follow the rules of the router and use the information provided to connect your networked devices.

Just as an additional piece of information, in case you did know it existed: Depending on your printer, some many tools and services allow you to print from outside the network. For example, the HP printer service creates a 'server' on your network that you can print to over a cellular connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1883

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles