Genie Opener Not Connecting to Archer A8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-28 01:04:13
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.11.0

Had an Asus router that died and replaced it with an Archer A8.  Genie garage door opener was connected to the Asus without issue.  Archer A8 was set up with Smart Connect and garage door opener cannot connect to the network.  Video doorbell connected to the Archer A8 without issue.  Tried setting up a 2.4GHz guest network to no avail.  Disabled Smart Connect and the garage door still would not connect to the 2.4GHz band.  It's not a signal issue as I put the router in the doorway to the garage.  Created a 2.4GHz hotspot with my cell phone and the opener connected to it.

is there anything in the Archer configuration that may be blocking the garage door opener from connecting?

Thanks,

Chris

Options
6 Reply
Re:Genie Opener Not Connecting to Archer A8
2022-08-29 18:36:58

@TPLA8Owner,

You are right about the Smart Connect being the issue preventing your device from connecting. You may be able to disable Smart Connect, complete the setup and reenable, but this would cause your devices to disconnect from the network. 

I think that there may be a setting disabled by default for guest networks that allow devices to see devices on the main network. This would prevent your phone from detecting that there is a device on the guest network. I would first try to enable this setting, and see if the problem is fixed.

Options
2022-09-02 16:24:05

@Riley_S 

Thank you for the feedback.  I couldn't figure out what in the guest network would be blocking it, so I disabled the guest network and Smart Connect to have the separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks with different SSIDs.  It still wouldn't connect.  I tried different channels and channel widths on the 2.4GHz network without success.  I set up a hotspot with my phone and also one with my computer and it was able to connect to both of them.  The router firmware is up to date, so there is just something with the A8 that is preventing the Genie from connecting.

Options
2022-09-02 16:48:11

@TPLA8Owner,

I have seen one of the troubleshooting steps for our smart plugs to be to lower the firewall setting to low while you are completing the setup, and then changing it back after completing the setup. I wonder if this may be causing the issue, since the guest network had the same issues

Options
2022-09-02 18:15:20

@Riley_S 

No go. :(

With Smart Connect on, I disabled SPI Firewall.  Respond to Pings from LAN was on and from WAN was off.  Also tried Firewall on and WAN on and Firewall off and WAN on.  All to no avail.  With Firewall off, LAN on, WAN on, I disabled Smart Connect, still without luck.

Options
2022-09-03 19:40:02

@TPLA8Owner 

Did you try to "reset" your garage door opener to forget any previous networks?  If you are using the same SSIDs as the old router, the garage door opener may no "trust" your new router seeing a new MAC address (BSSID) associated to the SSID.  Some devices do this to avoid joining evil-twin, rouge APs and require you to hard reset them or forget old network before you can join a new one.  If you are using a different SSID, this may not be the case.  I would still try to reset the opener if such a feature exists.

Good luck.

Options
2022-09-04 13:04:05

@pcuttle 

I don't think there's a "reset" on the opener, but I did have it connect to two different networks after the original one.

I ended up getting a different router, left the default Smart Connect enabled and used the original SSID.  The opener connected without issue.

Options