Best Option to Extend Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-06 23:57:24

We just moved into a 100 year old house in Baltimore and are having issues with the wireless network.  Our source is the latest & greatest from Exfinity.  Due to the construction techniques used 100 years ago, lath & horsehair plaster, the signal doesn't travel far.  I'm currently using an RE305 to boost the signal from the source to the end of the same floor, about 40 feet.  As I'm sitting only 15 feet from the extender the signal and bandwith is very good.

The issues comes up when I move upstairs to my office.  I'm now 20 feet away on the horozontal plane and 15 feet verticle through a thick lath & plaster floor/cieling barrier.  Signal is spotty and can't be relied on.  From reading the forum here I surmise that daisy chaining is not an option with the RE305.  What are my best options?

Phil

p.s firmware is 1.1.5 Build 20210416 REL 61543

Options
3 Reply
Re:Best Option to Extend Range
2022-09-07 23:02:01

@Phil_S,

You could either try to set up a range extender upstairs that connects to your main router, but I would really recommend looking at wired options for extending your signal. 

Depending on your setup, you could look into powerline extenders if you do not want to run a new ethernet cable on the outside(or inside) of your house

Options
2022-09-08 02:04:29

@Phil_S 

Thanks for the recommendation.  This is a middle of the row townhouse that has undergone multiple renovations.  Opening the walls or floors to run CAT5 or better really isn't an option.  I did update the firmware on the 305 which made a real positive difference.  Seems to be happier at 2.5ghz rather than 5.  Not sure what a powerline adaptor is but will look into it.

Options
2022-09-08 17:31:24

@Phil_S,

I can imagine that it will perform much better on the 2.4 Ghz frequency as it is much less susceptible to interference and signal degradation through walls, compared to the 5Ghz band.

A powerline connector allows you to send internet signals along your power cables in your walls by placing a transmitter and receiver. The data flows alongside the existing power, and can sometimes provide easy ways to distribute internet throughout your house

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 3

Related Articles