Connecting TP-LINK Archer A6 to Xfinity Hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-27 14:20:13
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20210226 rel.34930(5553)

I have a gigabit cable modem connected to Xfinity cable which provides 200Mbps internet service. Construction in the area has caused my cable to go down several times and I would like to configure my router to connect to 'xfinitywifi' 5G hotspot nearby as a backup internet connection.

My LAN is a modest affair being wired via Cat5E to an Xfinity Flex box, 3 smart TVs and a couple of Windows computers. 5G wireless provides iternet service for 2 Android phones. 

I am in over my head and need some step by step guidance. Thanks in advance!

Context is the only means available to distinguish a prooftext from a pretext
Options
5 Reply
Re:Connecting TP-LINK Archer A6 to Xfinity Hotspot
2022-10-27 18:15:25

When it comes to Internet Failover Lines, this feature is usually reserved for Business Class Devices, as the hardware needed to create a dual WAN setup is much more complicated and can be difficult to configure.

Some users have been able to set up similar configurations with additional hardware, however, that's even above my head. But I believe the feature used for this is the VLAN feature often found on network switches.

Options
2022-10-27 20:50:45

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the prompt reply. I really appreciate your answer! 

I notice that, concerning 'Failover Lines' you said 'usually'. The WLAN ethernet port is hardwired and I presume the default. But the option to connect wirelessly is available too and I have not seen anything that suggests it is an either/or option.

What if I disconnect the WLAN connection to the cable modem and go from there. What if we just presume I want to connect wirelessly to the 5G 'xfinitywifi' hotspot via IPv6. How would I go about that? Couldn't I establish that connection and enable and disable it as needed? The last time an outage happened to me I was 4 days without service while Comcast scratched their collective heads. However the wifi hotspot, though slow and spotty, was still abailable.

Options
2022-10-27 23:10:24

Ouch, I thought we were talking a few hours not days.

I believe you are maybe looking for the WDS feature on your router, I am not too familiar with the feature, but we have a guide that is super easy to follow. I'm not sure how that hotspot network is configured so this may be your best option. Here is the FAQ: How do I use the WDS Bridging function to extend my wireless network?

Options
2022-10-28 02:26:46

@Riley_S thanks. No worries - not days...smiley

The more I look at the manual, the more confused I become. Seems like there is a way to connect to the internet wirelessly. I just don't understand how. Since even TP-LINK (that's you) doesn't know how it is done, I guess I'm off to Youtube. Never know, I might find something.

Btw, I do own an extender. Haven't configured it yet. But I understand what you are talking about. The default setting is already in Bridge Mode, so that's probably not it. But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Options
2022-11-07 12:44:50

@Riley_S, Please for give me for not responding sooner. Life got in the way (in spades).

Your suggestion is a valuable addition to my limited (but growing) understanding of IP network hardware and software. I should have spent more time with my brother, the network engineer, but back then I was writing in assembly, machine code and such.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It is something I might consider under more favorable circumstances. For instance, in an already secure environment where the likelihood of interference or a breach is unlikely AND a low data rate might be acceptable; such as a programmable sensor array node located within a natural or artificially constructed Faraday cage.

WDS bridging, according to my research, is probably not a solution I would employ in most cases. Primary reasons would be the elimination of certain security features and the fact that it would cut data transfer rates by half with each hop. That said, yours is a valuable suggestion as to how I might re-purpose some old wireless devices!

All things considered, I broke down and bought a travel router. That and a VPN should be suitable to my purposes, but there are questions that I will need to post in a new thread.

Again, thanks!

Phillip

Options