Forgot password, now have to factory reset???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-09 19:03:21 - last edited 2023-01-11 17:41:22
Tags: #Factory reset
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Somehow I couldn't get my password to work and I hit 10 attempts so now I can't log in to my account.  The TP-Link chat person told me I need to do a Factory Reset.  This just scares the heck out of me, a decidedly non-tech person.  I see the button, and know how to do it, but what will I have to do when the router comes back?  What about the 10+ devices that I have set up via ethernet wiring and the various wifi devices I have around the house?  Plus the TP-Link RE650 extender I have?  I know I will be putting in a new password, but does this essentially brick everything that the router goes to?  I'm really nervous about this.  Can someone please talk me off the ledge?  Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Forgot password, now have to factory reset???-Solution
2023-01-11 13:02:45 - last edited 2023-01-11 17:41:22

@steveindanville 

Usually, one doesn't need to change the channels unless you are in a congested area and are getting interference, like in an apartment building for instance.

Security, well, some devices need specific ones and can't connect to all of them . None leaves you open for problems.

The Save of the settings usually would be on the Firmware or Backup and Restore on the System tab. Same to load it in. I do it every time I make a change that I know is good. Can't just do it though, name (at least on my router) is set as well as the location. If I have an old one, I have to manually rename it before saving a new one. However, generally you only need to do it once.

You might want to consider a 'password manager'. There are free and paid ones. I use RoboForm. I keep even some desktop passwords in it. Makes it easier for us with my wife and I have our own PC's and passwords. If I have to use her's or she mine, the password will show up to be entered on either PC that way, and we can each have our own P/W's that way, even for the same site, like a bank.

Works on the router as well.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Forgot password, now have to factory reset???
2023-01-10 22:56:53

@steveindRanville 

Resetting the Router puts it back to FACTORY settings, just like when you took it out of the box.

Assigning a new SIGN IN P/W is the easy part though.

Well, IF you had saved the SETTINGS before, you could just RELOAD them and be done with it.

Assuming you did NOT, you are starting from scratch.

Depending on what you changed when you first got the router, it could be some work to get back to where you were.

IF, and that is a big IF, you never changed anything, like SSID's, P/W's, Security Settings, etc., you'll have it ready to go once you reset it.

If you DID changes anything, you'll need to KNOW what you changed and to WHAT it was changed.

Before you do that, you CAN figure out what is the SSID's and P/W's from the devices. Most have NETWORK SETTINGS, and on some you can even see the P/W used.

Those are the MAJOR ones you need to duplicate so knowing that is good.

I assume though someone else set it up for you? That person might be able to assist as well?

Why did you want to get into the router? Maybe you'd be best off leaving it as is?

Options
2023-01-10 23:12:35
No, I did it myself. I wanted to get into the settings of the router because of a quirk in my Home Theater Receiver (Integra) in that even though Spotify is shown as a network station I can listen to through my home theater, Spotify isn't recognizing the receiver. Various people have said that if you get into the local network settings and change the receiver's name from DTR-40.4 to DTR40.4, the receiver will recognize Spotify and vice versa. So, I can't get into my settings on the router to change the name of the device. The only thing that makes me mad is that I can't remember what I changed (certainly SSID and password), like security settings, channel numbers or "Auto", etc., etc. I'm not getting any younger so the memory isn't helping much. I'm also mad that I don't think I saw a prompt to be able to save my settings. Maybe I did but I'll sure find out when I do a reset.
Options
Re:Forgot password, now have to factory reset???-Solution
2023-01-11 13:02:45 - last edited 2023-01-11 17:41:22

@steveindanville 

Usually, one doesn't need to change the channels unless you are in a congested area and are getting interference, like in an apartment building for instance.

Security, well, some devices need specific ones and can't connect to all of them . None leaves you open for problems.

The Save of the settings usually would be on the Firmware or Backup and Restore on the System tab. Same to load it in. I do it every time I make a change that I know is good. Can't just do it though, name (at least on my router) is set as well as the location. If I have an old one, I have to manually rename it before saving a new one. However, generally you only need to do it once.

You might want to consider a 'password manager'. There are free and paid ones. I use RoboForm. I keep even some desktop passwords in it. Makes it easier for us with my wife and I have our own PC's and passwords. If I have to use her's or she mine, the password will show up to be entered on either PC that way, and we can each have our own P/W's that way, even for the same site, like a bank.

Works on the router as well.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-11 15:45:50

@IrvSp I do use RoboForm too, and really like it a lot.  I somehow screwed up the password because RoboForm kept entering the wrong password and that is what freaked me out.  It saves what works, with no chance of misspelling, since it's remembering what just worked.

Options
2023-01-11 19:15:46

@steveindanville 

I think you hit the one thing I don't like about RoboForm.

You have a User ID and Password for a site. In some cases, the browser might same the User ID for and you enter the Password. It might even be the wrong one. RoboForm since it didn't supply them will ask you to save it. It could overwrite the good one. Any time I already have something saved in RoboForm I change the name, add a '-1' or '-NewPW' for instance.

I've also found that RoboForm goes strictly by the URL. In some case when you HAVE to change the Password you are on a different URL and it gets saved for that URL, not the Sign-in credentials it saves.

Anyway, there are ways in RoboForm that can mess you up, I know, I've done it, more than once.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1031

Replies: 5

Tags

Factory reset
Related Articles