OpenVPN Client blocks port forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-14 17:36:52
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20221208 rel.72102(5553)

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue when using the VPN client on this router.

I have a mumble server open for my friends to connect to, which I would like to stay outside of the VPN. I configure the VPN, and it works fine, connects and all the devices I select adopt the VPN's IP address as I would expect.

However, when I do this, I can no longer connect to the mumble server publically. The server still has the same IP adress, both locally, and publically, however it cannot accept connections. The very instant I disable the VPN on the router, I can connect, and everything works flawlessly, despite nothing changing from the server's point of view.

It feels like theres a bug where port forwarding is disabled with the VPN. Does anyone know how run the VPN for the non server's while keeping port forwarding for the servers?

Thanks in Advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Client blocks port forwarding
2023-06-21 06:43:21

@dimwit105 

Hi, thank you for posting on TP-Link Community.

Normally, the mumble server will not be affected by the VPN since it is not added into the VPN Client device list. 

May I know what kind of server it is and what port it is using? We will report the issue to our support engineer for further testing or analysis.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:OpenVPN Client blocks port forwarding
2023-06-21 18:13:56

@Sunshine Sure! Its a container on a proxmox instance, with the network configured like so

e8bd301db62e4ba88cb12d38e022f808

The router is configured like this

e1e95339aee242598ec33a77666c0329

This lets me keep all the servers on 192.168.1.xxx, and use the .0.xxx space for DHCP and whatnot, just an organizational thing.

Mumble is using its default port, and works well when forwarded like this

5756c9999eb84e7281b844566470e31e

This is the Device VPN list

a0aa9f9f278e4344854f59d56e6c3cfe

Mumble is only added on here, because I was not sure if the router would consider unlisted devices as an implicit yes, or an implicit no, so I added it to explicity say no.

When the VPN is enabled, it can't accept external connections. Local connections work fine, but I had to turn the VPN off to see it accept connections again.

The server itself is running Ubuntu 22 LTS, and I confirmed that it is not using the VPN, and has the same public IP with VPN client on, and off.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 2

Related Articles