OneMesh RangeExtender not syncing (blacklist, client name) with Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-02 20:22:33
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.23 Build 230418 Rel.60395n (8583)

OneMesh Extender does not pick Client Name or Blacklist from its router AX3200? Anyone else experience this? Any solutions? Kindly suggest.

Options
7 Reply
Re:OneMesh RangeExtender not syncing (blacklist, client name) with Router
2023-08-02 23:37:30

@GearBeetle 

Can you elaborate further for us?

Options
2023-08-03 03:59:10 - last edited 2023-08-03 04:00:05

@Carl Sure. Details are below:

• I have a Archer AX3200 TP-Link router. In that router I have one mesh device RE315.
  • In router access control i have a blacklist containing a Samsung soundbar (i want to prevent any internet access to this soundbar)
  • I also have some clients' Device Name changed for readbility (via 'Network Map' -> 'Clients' page)
  • Also I have pi-hole running as DNS server and DHCP server in my network.

Here is the problem:

• As long as the soundbar is on the router it's access remains blocked, but if it moves to the extender (RE315) it gains access to network again and starts showing up in my DNS Server logs.
  • The client names I edited on the router also do not sync to the extender.
  • Direct configuration of blacklist on the extender is disabled due to OneMesh.

Since the extender has been added as OneMesh device, it should have synced this info. It does not allow me to configure it because of syncing, but doesnt sync itself also. I am stuck.

Options
2023-08-03 14:36:59

@GearBeetle 

Okay,  when a range extender runs as a traditional range extender a device's MAC identifer is replaced with one from the extender.  This is done to ensure a broader compatiblity with devices connecting through the extender.  I am not sure if is happening here but its posisble.  To confrim when the soundbar is connected through the extender while using OneMesh can you determine if the MAC in the blacklist is the same one that is showing connected, outside of the blacklist?  

Options
2023-08-03 17:15:49

@Carl Hi. Thankyou for your response. I went and checked the details. I also temporarily unplugged the extender and plugged it again after about 15 minutes, while checking the DNS traffic on my network. The details are below:

• The MAC address on the extender's list of 'connected clients' is the same as given in router's blacklist.
  • The device name is different between extender and router. That's because device name changes I made on router, for readability, are also not syncing. So, on router the device name is 'SamsungQ90R', whereas on extender, the device name is just 'Samsung'.
  • As expected, no DNS activity from this device is seen when extender is unplugged, but activity resumes soon after the extender is plugged back in.
Options
2023-08-11 17:57:10 - last edited 2023-08-11 17:58:18

@Carl  Any response? This looks like a reasonably easily reproducible problem for developers. Also if its a bug (which it likely is), then it is a pretty basic one. Could someone confirm this and tell that a patch will be forthcoming? That way I can wait instead of trying to find ways to bypass it.

Options
2023-08-14 15:11:29

@GearBeetle 

Yes there is a bit of information i can provide.  

• The Standard Mesh protocol at this time does not contain the Client's name (assigned in the router).  Engineering has relayed this to R&D and have requested optimization but there is no current Time Table for it. 
  • in Mesh mode the Extender's blacklist option is disabled, but should use the router's blacklist.  

If in OneMesh mode, your blacklist is not being used by the Extender the next action will be to have you engage with Engineering directly.   We would ask that you email us at ussupportteam@tp-link.com with a link to this thread so we know who we are speaking with and we will get that engagement started. 

Options
2023-08-14 21:16:49

@Carl Thanks for your assistance. 

Options