tplinkdns.com / DDNS issues

2024-03-28 15:01:07
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has had this experience with tplink's dynamic DNS.

I've registered my router with the service and it works fine as far as that goes.  I've done an incoming port forwarding rule to my server successfully, and that all works fine.

The problem is that name resolution is inconsistent.  When I or friends attempt to connect to my service, we often get a "could not be resolved" error.  But if we do an nslookup (nslookup x.tplinkdns.com) it resolves fine.  And if we manually do that nslookup, then it gets added to the local dns cache and we can connect fine.  That said, there is a very short TTL on the dns result, so we often end up having to do this frequently if we disconnect and then need to reconnect.

Note that this is happening even when not using a local dns server - I can be pointed to google at 8.8.8.8 and this is the behavior we're seeing, so it's not like a local DNS server is screwing up.  I honestly would have suspected something weird going on at the PC level, but this is happening to several people with multiple PCs in all sorts of different networking scenarios - home networks, cell networks, guest wifi while travelling, business networks, etc.  And it is consistently ONLY my x.tplinkdns.com domain that is showing this behavior.

Obviously, I could fix this with a host file entry but then that defeats the purpose of DDNS.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on, I'd apprecaite the input.  Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:tplinkdns.com / DDNS issues
2024-08-01 14:10:56

+1

Options
Re:tplinkdns.com / DDNS issues
2024-08-03 10:17:35

@Fiordhraoi It is important that DDNS names have a short TTL, because the associated IP address can change frequently.

It is strange that you get "could not be resolved" while nslookup can resolve it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 634

Replies: 2

Related Articles