Will Smart connect on router enable smart connect on onemesh extenders

2024-07-17 15:54:40

I recently purchased an AXE300 router. I have RE300 & RE705x range extenders. I am going to connect the range extenders to the router for a one mesh network. 

My question is: if I enable Smart connect on the router, will the range extenders also use smart connect or will they have manually switched 2.4ghz & 5 ghz channels for the clients that connect to them? I would like to try smart connect, but I don't want my 5ghz devices to get stuck on the 2.4ghz frequency when they are connected through the range extenders. Or will my 5ghz devices automatically connect to the 5ghz band even though the extender is broadcasting the same SSID for both frequencies?

If smart connect isn't enabled on the extenders and I have separate SSID's for the 2 frequencies on the range extenders but one SSID for both frequencies on the router, will this effect how the devices switch from extender to router(ie will it still function as a mesh network or will it function as a router and range extenders)?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Will Smart connect on router enable smart connect on onemesh extenders
2024-07-17 17:49:41

@Greeny96,

OneMesh will put all of your bands from the RE and Router under the same SSID. The idea is that this will allow the Smart Connect feature to provide your device with the best connection no matter where you are in your home. If your device cannot benefit from 5GHz connections in an area, you will automatically communicate via 2.4Ghz and your devices will connect to 5GHz whenever it is a viable option over 2,4Ghz connections.

You could potentially not use OneMesh on the RE, but your devices will behave more as though they are roaming between two completely distinct networks, and it is more likely that your device will 'stick' to the router or the RE. 

I would recommend first configuring as a OneMesh network and removing the feature if it does not do what you are looking for. OneMesh setup is very easy since it shares credentials with your router, while configuring as an RE will require additional setup and configuration on both the RE and devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 150

Replies: 1

Related Articles