App issues with devices signal and transfer

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Not a major issue, but one none the less. Hoping someone can explain to me what's up.

1st: There are many times, mostly on my phone and tablet, where I look at the app and it says that I am getting a "Medium" signal from the Deco XE75 node. (2 out of 3 bars/rings on the indicator). Yet, on my device "phone or tablet" I will see a solid 3 out of 3 bars/rings of WIFI signal. We're not talking on the edge where it's fluctuating in the signal. The app will show the device on the correct node, I will only be 10-20 feet away from that node, my device is showing solid strong signal, but the app says it's medium with 2 bars. Everything is working fine, but this potentially can be an issue when roaming around the house. If the app doesn't register an accurate signal, then it will have issues handing off the device when the device gets closer to the other node with a stronger signal.

2nd: Because of an issue I mentioned in a previous post where devices will connect back to the main if the satellite node is disconnected, powered down, etc. but the device not going back to the strongest node when it powers back up, I found that I have to manually assign the devices back to that device, then set it back to "Automatic" in case that node drops off. But I have noticed, that some times I can manually set a device to use a particular node, but it WON'T MOVE over to that node. I thought if you manually set it to a node it will go to that node no matter what. I know the signal is strong enough. I've let it sit for 20-30 minutes and refreshed the app numerous times; but it still shows the device connected to the other node.

Generally speaking, my mobile devices like phones and tablets do hand off as needed because I move around a lot. But fixed devices like apple tv, roku, laptop, tv, etc... don't always grab the best node/signal. I don't mind manually setting them to the proper node and then set the app to automatic in case of a rare power outage. But when certain devices won't change when I manually try to move it, that's a problem.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:App issues with devices signal and transfer
3 weeks ago

@Mikis 

Devices decide where they connect and when they switch to another Deco.

The Deco can only make suggestions to the devices; it it up to the device to understand and accept those suggestions.

Options
Re:App issues with devices signal and transfer
2 weeks ago
Sorry, but I don't really agree with this. This is one of the main differences between a mesh network and AP's, extenders, etc.
Options