Wi-Fi speeds

Wi-Fi speeds

Wi-Fi speeds
Wi-Fi speeds
Saturday
Tags: #Please help

Just installed the AX3000 pro and the Wi-Fi speeds are beyond weak and super sporadic. If there is connection it'll range from 200-600mbs then most of the time it's just 4-6kbs. Called our ISP they sent a technician to check the modem and lines. They replaced the modem with a newer one and tested everything, came back all good. I'm not super tech guy so don't know if it's something I did/can fix or what. Firmware is up to date

Options
6 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi speeds
Saturday

@SpookyHorse 

Are you connedted via wired or wireless?

What is the client you are using? How close if wireless is it to the router? If wireless, what band are you using?

If wired, what CAT rating is your cable?

Did you have better speeds before?

Interference or being on a crowded channel could also be the cause.

There are a variety of tools you can use to determine this. "Acrylic' would be one. Go to 'Acrylic DOT com' and get the Analyzer.

For instance, I am on a WiFi 7 router with 3 SSID's, a 2.4, 5, and 6Ghz SSID. Here is other overall Signal strenght I see (or I should say Acrylic does):

5d55f6baee934ed0a403dc74c2c014a3

All the others around me are weak (my 3 are on the fop Good part) due to distance from me. If one were close to the same power as mine, I'd have to change channel number to one what was not used or had strong signals by me.

Options
Saturday

@IrvSp I'm on a wireless connection. Not sure what "client" means. Proximity is less than 20ft no obstructions or clutter around it, it's in a mid elevated position, relative to wall height. (Dresser) the brand is TP-Link. Haven't checked CAT, will do. The speeds before and now are night and day  500mbps to 4-6 kbps. Only have 3 devices on it so shouldn't be an issue. I'll check out Acrylic, thank you. 

Options
Saturday

@SpookyHorse 

Client is what you use to connect to the router, PC, Phone, Tablet.

The bands or SSID they connect to are the other part, each could be on a different one, and eaxh has max. speed capability.

For now though, I'd asume that you have used the same as before?

What was there in terms of router model before this one?

Is you MODEM a Router as well? If so, it is 'bridged' so it doesn't transmit SSID's? That alone if it did could cause problems.

Other part here, Modem and Router MUST be powered on in sequence... otherwise there could be some signal issues.

So, what I suggest you do is turn OFF all devices connect to the router, then the routrer, and lastly the modem (may not have a power switch so pull the power cord from the back).

Next, wait a few minutes then follow this sequ\ence:

• Power UP the modem AND wait until ALL lights on the front are ALL on.
  • Power UP the Router AND wait until ALL lights are ALL on.
  • Next power up you devices.
  • When devices are up, test the speed using SPEEDTEST DOT NET.

See if it works better?

If it DOES not, we probably have to rule out the router Security setting. In the router, for wireless, enable the GUEST WIRELESS with NO security (but can have a P/W). Connect one or more devices to that SSID and test. Is it any better?

If the cable is being used to a PC, and it is a CAT5E or better you should get MAX. speed. If not, check the CAT rating on the cable between Modem and Router. Should be CAT6,

If those are OK, do this:

• Power everything OFF again.
  • Power up the Modem.
  • From the PC, the cable that went to the router, connect that to the modem output that was going to the Router.
  • Power up the PC.
  • Test again,

If you get the Maximum speed, you might have a faulty router or a bad setting.

Try RESETTING the router I guess and re-do all settings? See if that helps. Manually set the settings, and if need be, take note of all you have before doing the reset.

See if that helps.

Options
Saturday

@IrvSp  powered everything down like stated, new CAT 6 hooked up. Connected Xbox (don't have pc) to modem ram speed test showed 600 up and 27 down mbps. Tested with downloading a game, no issues there. I'm at a loss here... we have another router that we used. It's completely outdated can't even update firmware. 🤷‍♂️ I really appreciate the help here though, thank you.

Options
Saturday

@SpookyHorse 

I think you meant 600mbps down and 27mbps up...

So with the modem to Xbox it works fine, correct?

Sort of points to the router. Do a RESET on it.Then enter your settings, but with wired there really isn't any you can 'mess' with.

Modems and routers can remember who they were last connected too, and without powering them off to reset their 'momory' just pluigging in a ifferent device causes problems like what you see.

I'm wondering if QoS is set in the router?

If the router is new, I'd contact TP-Link Support? https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/

Options
Saturday

@IrvSp haha yes, rereading i indeed meant down not up. I don't know what the heck is going on... I'll give support a call. Seriously you've been a great help, thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 80

Replies: 6

Tags

Please help
Related Articles